Particle Traveling in a Uniform Magnetic Field (SR?)

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of a uniform magnetic field on a particle with mass m and charge q, initially moving with velocity v_0 in the \hat i direction. It is noted that the particle will enter a circular path with a specific radius and angular frequency, due to the Lorentz Force. However, when observing the particle from a reference frame moving in the \hat i direction with velocity u, the force on the particle changes, leading to a change in momentum. This is reconciled by considering the transformation of the electromagnetic field in the primed reference frame. The conversation also mentions a lack of understanding in how this applies to a charge-free region of space and requests a source for further explanation.
RoyalCat
Let a particle mass [tex]m[/tex] charge [tex]q[/tex] be placed in a uniform magnetic field [tex]\vec B = B\hat k[/tex] with an initial velocity [tex]v_0\hat i[/tex]

Clearly, it will enter a circular path of radius so and so with angular frequency so and so. But, it will not move in a straight line, not at all. Its momentum will constantly change.

Now, moving to a reference frame moving along the positive [tex]\hat i[/tex] direction with a constant velocity [tex]u[/tex] we find that the force on the particle, given by the Lorentz Force [tex]\vec F_b = q \vec v \times \vec B[/tex] has changed! That means that the change in (Classical) momentum, is not the same in both systems, which is what we would expect!

Focusing on the special case where [tex]u=v_0[/tex] we find that in the primed reference frame, there is no change in momentum at all!

I've done some reading and found that this apparent contradiction is reconciled by considering that the EM field is transformed relativistically and produces a new EM field that provides adequate results.

I could, however, only find quantitative analysis of the phenomenon (The actual transforms themselves) and qualitative analysis for a very specific situation (Current carrying wire) where the source of the new EM field was explained by length contraction and the formation of a net charge density. How this applies to the charge free region of space my question refers to eludes me.

A link or referral to a source describing the rationale behind the transforms would be much appreciated. (I only have the most basic understanding of SR and a moderate understanding of EM, so something appropriate would be wonderful)

Another thing that's been bothering me, is that this point to reflect on was given in our first lesson on Magnetism at school (The introduction to the Lorentz Force). Though it was unclear if we're supposed to be able and answer it (No one in my class has any knowledge of SR).

With thanks in advance, Anatoli. :)

Physics news on Phys.org

I can provide a response to this content by explaining the phenomenon of a particle traveling in a uniform magnetic field in the context of special relativity (SR).

Firstly, it is important to understand that the Lorentz Force, given by the equation \vec F_b = q \vec v \times \vec B, is a classical equation and does not take into account the effects of special relativity. In other words, it only applies in non-relativistic situations where velocities are much smaller than the speed of light.

When a particle with mass m and charge q is placed in a uniform magnetic field \vec B = B\hat k, it will experience a force perpendicular to its velocity, causing it to move in a circular path with a radius determined by the magnitude of its velocity and the strength of the magnetic field. This is a well-known phenomenon in classical physics.

However, when we consider the same situation in a reference frame that is moving at a constant velocity u along the positive \hat i direction, we find that the force on the particle changes. This is due to the fact that the magnetic field is transformed under the principles of special relativity. In this new reference frame, the particle's velocity and the magnetic field are no longer perpendicular, resulting in a different direction and magnitude of the Lorentz Force.

In the special case where the velocity of the particle, v_0, is equal to the velocity of the reference frame, u, the force on the particle becomes zero. This is because the particle is now at rest in the new reference frame and there is no longer any relative motion between the particle and the magnetic field.

To reconcile this apparent contradiction, we must consider the transformation of the electromagnetic (EM) field under special relativity. This is a complex topic and requires a good understanding of both SR and EM. The mathematical equations that describe these transformations are beyond the scope of this response, but they can be found in many textbooks and online resources.

In essence, the EM field is transformed in a way that accounts for the relative motion between the particle and the reference frame. This results in a new EM field that produces the appropriate Lorentz Force in the new reference frame, thus providing consistent results.

To address your question about the source of the new EM field in the charge-free region of space, it is important to note that the EM field is not solely dependent on the presence of charges. It is also affected by

Related to Particle Traveling in a Uniform Magnetic Field (SR?)

1. What is a uniform magnetic field?

A uniform magnetic field is a magnetic field that has the same strength and direction at all points within a given region. This means that a particle traveling through a uniform magnetic field will experience the same force at all points within that field.

2. How does a particle travel in a uniform magnetic field?

A particle traveling in a uniform magnetic field will experience a force, known as the Lorentz force, that is perpendicular to both the particle's velocity and the direction of the magnetic field. This force will cause the particle to move in a circular or helical path, depending on the initial velocity and the strength of the magnetic field.

3. What is the role of special relativity in particle travel in a uniform magnetic field?

Special relativity plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles traveling in a uniform magnetic field. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which can impact the observed motion of the particle due to its high speed. This is especially important for particles traveling at close to the speed of light, as the effects of special relativity become more significant.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the particle's motion?

The strength of the magnetic field has a significant impact on the motion of a particle traveling through it. A stronger magnetic field will result in a larger force on the particle, causing it to move in a tighter or more pronounced circular or helical path. Additionally, a stronger magnetic field can also affect the particle's speed and energy, as well as the radius of its path.

5. What practical applications does the study of particle travel in a uniform magnetic field have?

The study of particle travel in a uniform magnetic field has numerous practical applications in fields such as particle physics, engineering, and medicine. For example, it is essential for understanding the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators, the operation of electric motors, and the interaction of particles with magnetic fields in medical imaging techniques such as MRI. It also has applications in the development of new technologies, such as magnetic levitation trains and fusion energy.