Particle shot from a height h on Earth

In summary: V_0\cos(\alpha)t+\frac {V_0\sin(\alpha)+\sqrt{V_0^2\sin^2(\alpha)+2gh}} {g}In summary, the cannon must be set at an elevation angle of \alpha=2(1+\frac {gh} {V_0^2}) to achieve the maximum range.
Dustgil

Homework Statement

A cannon that is capable of firing a shell at speed [tex]V_0[/tex] is mounted on a vertical tower of height h that overlooks a level plain below.

(a) Show that the elevation angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] at which the cannon must be set to achieve maximum range is given by the expression

[tex]csc^2(\alpha)=2(1+\frac {gh} {V_0^2})[/tex]

(b) What is the maximum range R of the cannon?

Homework Equations

[tex]F=m\frac {d^2r} {dt^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The only force on the particle is -mgk, so

[tex]m\frac{d^2r} {dt^2} = -mgk[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2r} {dt^2} = -gk[/tex]

[tex]\vec{v}=-gtk+v_0[/tex]
[tex]\vec{r}=\frac {-gt} {2}k+v_0t+r_0[/tex]

The initial velocity and position can be expressed as such

[tex]V_0=V_0cos(\alpha)i+V_0sin(\alpha)k[/tex]
[tex]r_0=hk[/tex]

Therefore vector r is

[tex]\vec{r}=V_0tcos(\alpha)i+(h+V_0tsin(\alpha)-\frac{gt^2} {2})k[/tex]

In component form,

[tex]x=V_0tcos(\alpha)[/tex]
[tex]z=(h+V_0tsin(\alpha)-\frac {gt^2} {2})k[/tex]

when z=0 (taking just the postitive root of the quadratic formula because we are concerned about positive t)

[tex]t= \frac {V_0sin(\alpha) + \sqrt{V_0^2sin^2(\alpha)+2gh}} {g}[/tex]

Plugging this into x, we get

[tex]x=V_0cos(\alpha)(\frac {V_0sin(\alpha)+\sqrt{V_0^2sin^2(\alpha)+2gh}} {g})[/tex]

This is the equation of motion in the x direction. It seems to make sense because if the angle is 90 degrees, we get 0 distance traveled. When the angle is 0 degrees, the y component of the initial velocity cancels out to give something nice. My thinking from this point is that taking dx/da and setting it equal to 0 would give the angle that would make x a maximum. However, when I do this I get a horribly complicated equation that I can't figure out how to simplify. Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dustgil said:
[tex]\vec{v}=-gtk+v_0[/tex]
[tex]\vec{r}=\frac {-gt} {2}k+v_0t+r_0[/tex]
Check the second equation. You got it right later so I guess it is just a typo.

The last equation looks good. The value of ##\alpha## maximizing this also corresponds to a value of ##\cos(\alpha)## maximizing this (and due to the range of ##\alpha## you don't have to deal with ambiguities like ##\pm 2 \pi##), so you can introduce a new variable ##p=\cos(\alpha)## and maximize x with respect to this one. That should make the expressions easier. Choosing ##p=\sin(\alpha)## could work as well.

You know the right answer already. You do not have to solve the equation, you just have to show that the answer works.

Likes Dustgil
So

[tex]\frac {dp} {d\alpha} = -sin\alpha[/tex]

That would be correct right? I don't think I've done something like this exactly before. So if I plugged it in and got something like

[tex]\frac {dp} {d\alpha}p[/tex]

That would equal one right? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Dustgil said:
That would be correct right?
Yes, but it does not matter. If you substitute before taking the derivative with respect to p ##\alpha## does not appear any more.

-sin(α)cos(α) is not equal to 1.

Dustgil said:

Homework Statement

A cannon that is capable of firing a shell at speed ##\ V_0 \ ## is mounted on a vertical tower of height ##\ h\ ## that overlooks a level plain below.

(a) Show that the elevation angle ##\ \alpha \ ## at which the cannon must be set to achieve maximum range is given by the expression
[tex]\csc^2(\alpha)=2\left(1+\frac {gh} {V_0^2}\right)[/tex]
(b) What is the maximum range R of the cannon?

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging this into x, we get
[tex]x=V_0\cos(\alpha)\left(\frac {V_0\sin(\alpha)+\sqrt{V_0^2\sin^2(\alpha)+2gh}} {g}\right)[/tex]
This is the equation of motion in the x direction. It seems to make sense because if the angle is 90 degrees, we get 0 distance traveled. When the angle is 0 degrees, the y component of the initial velocity cancels out to give something nice. My thinking from this point is that taking dx/da and setting it equal to 0 would give the angle that would make x a maximum. However, when I do this I get a horribly complicated equation that I can't figure out how to simplify. Am I on the right track?
Assuming the last equation is correct, the following may help.

Solve for ##\displaystyle \ \sqrt{V_0^2\sin^2(\alpha)+2gh} \,.\ ##

Then square both sides and do a little cancelling/simplifying.

Use implicit differentiation & set ##\ dx / d\alpha =0 \ . ##

Added in Edit:

Thanks mfb (for the "like"), but it didn't work out as well as I had hoped. Maybe I just didn't find a good way to eliminate x in the result .

You can get essentially the same thing my suggestion leads to, by completing the square in the expression for time, z = 0, then substituting the expression for x as a function of t. (Probably should be labeled t0 for the time to reach zero elevation.)

Last edited:
Likes mfb

Related to Particle shot from a height h on Earth

What is the equation for the height of a particle shot from a height h on Earth?

The equation for the height of a particle shot from a height h on Earth is h(t) = h + v0t - (1/2)gt2, where h is the initial height, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

How does the initial velocity affect the height of a particle shot from a height h on Earth?

The initial velocity determines how fast the particle is moving when it is shot from the initial height h. A higher initial velocity will result in a greater height reached by the particle. However, the acceleration due to gravity will eventually cause the particle to fall back towards Earth.

What is the impact of air resistance on the height of a particle shot from a height h on Earth?

Air resistance can affect the height of a particle shot from a height h on Earth by slowing down its ascent and reducing the overall height reached. This is because air resistance acts as a drag force on the particle, opposing its motion and reducing its velocity.

How does the mass of the particle affect its height when shot from a height h on Earth?

The mass of the particle does not affect its height when shot from a height h on Earth, as long as air resistance is negligible. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is independent of the mass of the particle.

What is the maximum height reached by a particle shot from a height h on Earth?

The maximum height reached by a particle shot from a height h on Earth can be calculated using the equation hmax = h + (v02 /2g), where h is the initial height and v0 is the initial velocity. This is the point where the particle’s vertical velocity becomes zero and it begins to fall back towards Earth due to gravity.