Particle Physics vs. Cosmology

In summary, the OP would be better served if they concentrated on studying elementary particle physics and not nuclear physics.
Dr.Mobius
I would like to study the fundamental aspects of the Universe (of course, assuming that I am capable of pursuing such a thing in the first place). Not necessarily on a large scale, but I am interested in space, time, the fundamental aspects of matter... Things like that. I know that there is some degree of overlap between these two things. Er, at least I'm pretty sure that there must be, anyways...

Sorry for asking stupid questions; I guess if I have to ask such a thing, then I'm probably not intellectually equipped to study any of it in the first place, eh? But I would definitely appreciate it if somebody at least humored me on this.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like toe stuff ( theory of everything) particle physics is closely related I would say more so than cosmology.

Alright, thank you. Is special relativity used a lot in particle physics? I find that to be a particularly fascinating subject.

Dr.Mobius said:
Alright, thank you. Is special relativity used a lot in particle physics? I find that to be a particularly fascinating subject.

Sure it is... particles are often moving very fast so you have to use relativistic equations. But in my experience special relativity is used more as a correction than a focus of study.

Hm, alright. This still helped me narrow it down, so thanks everyone.

Special relativity is a narrow case where nothing is accelerating and general relativity is more general where a frame of reference is accelerating. The research out there right now is trying to connect general rel to quantum mechanics in the are of quantum gravity. This leads to area like string theory and the avid search for the graviton. That's all I understand of it.

Bump.

Would I be able to study fundamental particle stuff with a degree in Nuclear Physics?

What is your current education? One normally gets a B.S. in physics and takes elective courses in fields such as optics, nuclear physics, etc. You specialize at the graduate level (e.g. Masters and PhD). To answer your question: there is some overlap between nuclear and particle physics - they are both broad fields.

Dr.Mobius said:
Bump.

Would I be able to study fundamental particle stuff with a degree in Nuclear Physics?

No. In Nuclear Physics you would be heavily limited. Nuclear Physics is like the ancestor to Particle Physics. Research interests in Nuclear Physics are much more limited compared to Particle Physics, I would strongly recommend Particle Physics over Nuclear Physics if you must choose between those two.

Delong said:
Special relativity is a narrow case where nothing is accelerating and general relativity is more general where a frame of reference is accelerating.

That’s not quite true, special relativity can handle accelerated reference frames, it’s applicable as long as gravity is sufficiently weak that you can ignore it. General relativity is required when the gravity is non-negligible.

Likes 1 person
TheAustrian said:
No. In Nuclear Physics you would be heavily limited. Nuclear Physics is like the ancestor to Particle Physics. Research interests in Nuclear Physics are much more limited compared to Particle Physics, I would strongly recommend Particle Physics over Nuclear Physics if you must choose between those two.

But, will a heavy background in Nuclear Physics be useful for studying Particle Physics? I mean, I've seen a ton of graduate programs that seem as if Nuclear and Particle Physics are part of a combined program. If I had, say, an MS in Nuclear Engineering or something, would it prepare me for a doctoral program in Particle Physics?

The answer for a degree in nuclear physics was "no" - quite rightfully-so, I believe. The answer for a degree in nuclear engineering is "a degree in nuclear physics would prepare you better".

TheAustrian said:

We need to be very careful here. Please note that facilities such as RHIC and the upcoming FRIB to be built at Michigan State University are all particle colliders, but they are, get this, nuclear physics facilities!! They studied quark-gluon fluid and others, and these are considered as "nuclear physics". ALICE detector at the LHC does the same thing.

So yes, there is a very strong overlap between elementary particle physics and nuclear physics, IF the specialization is chosen to be in the relevant area of nuclear physics.

The more important question to be asked of the OP is, if he/she is interested in elementary particle physics, why not study that, rather than doing it via nuclear physics, which has a more definite goal. I also think that the OP is worrying about this waaaaay too early.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
The more important question to be asked of the OP is, if he/she is interested in elementary particle physics, why not study that, rather than doing it via nuclear physics, which has a more definite goal.

I just want to know all of my options. I think it's good to know about what all of my viable options are, so that as things happen in the next couple of years I will be able to tailor my path to whatever works best, and if a Nuclear Physics or Engineering degree can get me to where I want to go, then I think it's something that's definitely worth considering.

Plus, I got to thinking, if a Nuclear Engineering degree could prepare me for a doctoral program in Particle Physics, that would already be good. But, if something happened that prevented me from pursuing that, I would be able to fall back on a Nuclear Engineering job just in case (I wouldn't plan or hope for that to happen, but if it acts as an effective safety net, then all the better, right?).

I also think that the OP is worrying about this waaaaay too early.

Heh, you may have a point :)

However, I just want to be prepared, and aware of all my options as soon as possible so I have the most time to be able to adjust my plan just in case something changes, or this or that happens. Plus, thinking this far ahead makes me feel somewhat less disappointed in myself for being where I am now, so, I guess there's that, too.

Anyways, thanks to everyone who has helped me so far. Even though responses have been... varied... I appreciate anything relevant anyone has to say. Getting as many perspectives as possible seems like the best way to look at a situation like this to me.

A nuclear engineering degree is not the same as a nuclear physics degree. It doesn't prepare you for a specialization in particle physics any more than any other engineering degree.

This thread is all over the place and lacks focus. I hope you find useful information in it, because if I were in your shoes, I certainly don't.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
A nuclear engineering degree is not the same as a nuclear physics degree. It doesn't prepare you for a specialization in particle physics any more than any other engineering degree.

This thread is all over the place and lacks focus. I hope you find useful information in it, because if I were in your shoes, I certainly don't.

Zz.

Oh, I misunderstood then.

Keep in mind, this thread was first posted about a month and a half ago, and I have revived it a couple of separate times thinking from different angles. A month and a half may not seem like a very long time, but I've thought about it enough to have my mind changed slightly based on information both from these forums and otherwise. I want to sift through all of these different ideas and get as much information as I need to be satisfied, that way, I can make the best decision for myself based on what I learn about my different ideas.

I do find useful information from this whole thread. Everything said has helped me further think about this entire thing. Even this comment has been useful, because you are right. There is a certain level of focus that I wish I had, but I don't. But the way I see it, the more questions I ask (dumb or not), the closer I can get to zeroing in on what I really want.

So still, I must say thank you to everyone.

Related to Particle Physics vs. Cosmology

1. What is the difference between particle physics and cosmology?

Particle physics is the study of the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe, while cosmology is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe as a whole.

2. How are particle physics and cosmology related?

Particle physics plays a crucial role in understanding the early universe, as the particles and forces studied in particle physics were responsible for the formation and evolution of the universe. Cosmology also provides important insights into the fundamental particles and forces through observations of the universe on a large scale.

3. What are some key concepts in particle physics and cosmology?

In particle physics, key concepts include the Standard Model, which describes the fundamental particles and their interactions, as well as theories such as quantum mechanics and special relativity. In cosmology, key concepts include the Big Bang theory, dark matter, and dark energy.

4. How do scientists study particle physics and cosmology?

Scientists study particle physics through experiments at large particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, as well as through theoretical models and calculations. Cosmology is studied through observations of the universe using telescopes and other instruments, as well as through theoretical models and simulations.

5. What are some current research topics in particle physics and cosmology?

Some current research topics in particle physics include the search for new particles and forces beyond the Standard Model, as well as the study of dark matter and neutrinos. In cosmology, current research topics include the study of the early universe and the nature of dark energy, as well as the large-scale structure and evolution of the universe.