Particle Physics- Isospin states

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of obtaining the composition $$\arrowvert 1,1 \rangle = (\langle 1,1 \arrowvert)^{\dagger}$$ by using the isospin-lowering operator and the orthogonality property. The speaker is unsure on how to get to each step and asks for further assistance, which is recommended to be found in a quantum mechanics textbook on angular momentum.
dunk
Homework Statement
Particle Physics- Isospin states
Relevant Equations
$$\arrowvert 2, 2\rangle=\arrowvert 1,1\rangle \otimes \arrowvert 1,1\rangle$$
$$ \langle 1,1 \arrowvert2,1 \rangle=0$$
Hi, I have attached the question to this post. I understand on the process on getting to the answer in that you use $$\arrowvert 2, 2\rangle=\arrowvert 1,1\rangle \otimes \arrowvert 1,1\rangle$$ and apply the isospin-lowering operator to obtain $$\arrowvert 2,1 \rangle$$. Then I understand you then use orthogonality $$ \langle 1,1 \arrowvert2,1 \rangle=0$$ to obtain the composition of $$\arrowvert 1,1 \rangle= (\langle 1,1 \arrowvert)^{\dagger} $$. But I'm unsure on how to actually get to each step and I'm not sure on where to go from this point. Any help will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 1587921151163.png
    1587921151163.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This procedure should be covered in your quantum mechanics textbook in the chapter on angular momentum. Start there.

Related to Particle Physics- Isospin states

1. What is isospin in particle physics?

Isospin is a quantum number that describes the symmetry of particles in a group. It is similar to spin, but instead of describing the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle, it describes the symmetry of a group of particles.

2. How is isospin used in particle physics?

Isospin is used to classify particles and predict their interactions. It helps to simplify the understanding of complex particle interactions and allows for the prediction of new particles based on their isospin properties.

3. What are isospin states?

Isospin states are the different possible values of isospin that a particle can have. Just like how a particle can have different spin states, it can also have different isospin states.

4. How is isospin related to the strong nuclear force?

Isospin is closely related to the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for binding quarks together to form protons and neutrons. The strength of the strong nuclear force is determined by the isospin of the particles involved.

5. Can isospin change in particle interactions?

Yes, isospin can change in certain particle interactions. This is known as isospin symmetry breaking and is an important aspect of understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.