Particle Physics Integral Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the quantum mechanical amplitude for the Coulomb potential. The speaker encounters a Fourier transform that they are unable to calculate and asks for assistance. The response suggests choosing a specific coordinate system and transforming the Yukawa potential in order to take the limit and solve the integral. Further clarification is given regarding the convergence of the integral and the use of the Yukawa potential as an approximation.
Sistine

Homework Statement

In calculating the quantum mechanical amplitude for the Coulomb potential (scattering of say [tex]\alpha[/tex] particle off a massive particle of charge [tex]Ze[/tex]), I came across a Fourier transform which I could not calculate.

If
[tex] U(r)=\frac{2Ze^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r}[/tex]
then
[tex]\tilde{U}(k)=\int U(\mathbf{x})e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{x}}d^3x=\frac{Ze^2}{\epsilon_0 k^2} [/tex]

Could you please help me calculate this integral

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks pretty straightforward, just choose your coordinate system so that [itex]\textbf{k}[/itex] points along the z-axis and perform the integration in spherical coordinates.

Edit: It turns out that the integral doesn't converge directly, so instead you may wish to transform the Yukawa potential [itex]\frac{1}{r}e^{-ur}[/itex], and then take the limit as [itex]u\to 0[/itex]. Strictly speaking, this is only valid if you treat the Coulomb potential as a distribution and not a mathematical function (otherwise, the limit of the integral need not be the same as the integral of the limit).

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, I tried integrating over [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] but my integral does not converge for [tex]0\leq r<\infty[/tex] i.e. integrating

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi}\int_0^{\infty}r e^{ikr \cos\theta} \sin\theta dr d\theta d\phi[/tex]

Doing the [tex]\theta[/tex] integration first I get

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\infty}\frac{2\sin kr}{k}dr d\phi[/tex]

But the r integration does not converge. Am I using the wrong limits

Did you read the edit part of my post?

Yes I read the edit part of your post, but in my lecture notes there was nothing said about approximation by the Yukawa potential, the integral was just given as I stated it above. Is the integral an approximation? It partially works out when integrated. (also is it related to the first born approximation?)

Related to Particle Physics Integral Calculation

What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe. It seeks to understand the laws of nature at the smallest scales and how these particles interact with each other.

What is an integral in particle physics?

In particle physics, an integral is a mathematical operation that calculates the total amount of a physical quantity over a certain region in space or time. It is used to determine the probability of a certain particle interaction or the energy of a particle.

Why is integral calculation important in particle physics?

Integral calculation is important in particle physics because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and understand the fundamental laws of nature. It also helps us analyze and interpret experimental data and make new discoveries about the subatomic world.

How is integral calculation used in particle accelerators?

Particle accelerators use integral calculation to determine the trajectories and energies of particles as they accelerate and collide. This allows scientists to study the properties and interactions of particles at high energies, which cannot be observed in natural settings.

What are some challenges in calculating integrals in particle physics?

One of the main challenges in calculating integrals in particle physics is dealing with very complex and high-dimensional equations. These require advanced mathematical techniques and supercomputers to solve. Additionally, the uncertainties and limitations of experimental data can also affect the accuracy of integral calculations.