Particle physics - calculate the synchrotron energy loss

In summary, the synchrotron energy loss at E = 104.5GeV is 2.3 times larger than the synchrotron energy loss at E = 45.1GeV.
lozzyjay

Homework Statement

In the year 2000, the highest energy beams at LEP were achieved, at E = 104.5GeV.

a) Calculate how much larger was the synchrotron energy loss at this energy, relative to the synchrotron energy loss at E = 45.1GeV

Homework Equations

E[tex]_{loss}[/tex] = (E/m)^4 x [tex]\frac{1}{R}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I'm sure my value is WAY too low, and I'm not sure why, I missed the lecture where this was explained so I have no clue at the moment!

I took E = 105.4 x 10^9eV
I took m = 4.59 x 10^22eV
And r is equal to 4300m.

Ok, so I think I am using the wrong value for mass. I assume I should be using the mass of the electron?
When I entered in 9.11x10^-31kg, then I was unable to work out the brackets to the power of 4. I looked on wikipedia, and it had the value for it in Mev/c^2. So I multiplied that value by c^2 and converted it into eV. I don't know if this is where I went wrong?

The answer I go by doing the above is:

5.284 x 10^-16eV.

Which I think is too low? But I'm not sure?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I can see that you are struggling with the calculation for the synchrotron energy loss at different energies. Let me try to help you out with the correct solution.

First, you are correct in using the mass of the electron (9.11x10^-31kg) instead of the value you used before. In this case, it is important to use the correct units for all the values in the equation. So, for the energy (E), we can use either eV or Joules, and for the mass (m), we can use kilograms. The radius (R) should be in meters.

Now, let's plug in the values for E = 104.5GeV and E = 45.1GeV into the equation:

For E = 104.5GeV:
E_{loss} = (104.5x10^9 eV / 9.11x10^-31 kg)^4 x 1/4300m
= 4.1x10^27 x 2.3x10^-4
= 9.4x10^23 eV

For E = 45.1GeV:
E_{loss} = (45.1x10^9 eV / 9.11x10^-31 kg)^4 x 1/4300m
= 1.8x10^26 x 2.3x10^-4
= 4.1x10^23 eV

Now, to calculate the ratio of the two energy losses, we divide the larger value by the smaller value:
9.4x10^23 eV / 4.1x10^23 eV = 2.3

Therefore, the synchrotron energy loss at E = 104.5GeV is 2.3 times larger than the synchrotron energy loss at E = 45.1GeV.

I hope this helps clarify the calculation for you. Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work!

Related to Particle physics - calculate the synchrotron energy loss

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the building blocks of matter and the fundamental forces that govern their interactions. It seeks to understand the smallest and most basic components of the universe, such as subatomic particles and their behavior.

2. What is synchrotron radiation?

Synchrotron radiation is the emission of electromagnetic radiation, such as light or X-rays, by charged particles as they are accelerated in a curved path. This phenomenon is commonly observed in particle accelerators, which use strong magnetic fields to bend and accelerate particles to high energies.

3. How is the energy loss of particles in a synchrotron calculated?

The energy loss of particles in a synchrotron can be calculated using the formula: ΔE/E = 4πr/λ, where ΔE is the energy loss, E is the initial energy of the particle, r is the radius of the particle's path, and λ is the wavelength of the emitted radiation. This formula is based on classical electrodynamics and assumes that the particle is moving at a constant speed.

4. What factors can affect the synchrotron energy loss?

The synchrotron energy loss of a particle can be affected by several factors, including the particle's mass and charge, the strength of the magnetic field, and the radius of its path. Additionally, the type and energy of the emitted radiation can also impact the energy loss.

5. Why is the calculation of synchrotron energy loss important?

The calculation of synchrotron energy loss is crucial in the design and operation of particle accelerators, as it allows scientists to predict and control the behavior of particles as they travel through the accelerator. This information is also important in understanding the behavior of particles in nature, such as in cosmic rays or in astrophysical phenomena.