Particle on a ring with perturbation

In summary, the conversation involves solving a problem of a particle on a ring with a constant electric field perturbation. The first order correction vanishes due to the cosine term, so a second or higher order correction is needed. The second order correction involves a sum of terms, which may not necessarily be zero. The value of k must be an integer due to the periodic boundary conditions. The point is that the infinite sum required for the second order correction may simply contain one or two terms. The use of degenerate second order perturbation may be necessary due to the two distinct eigenfunctions having the same energy.
"pi"mp
So I'm trying to solve old qualifying exam problems, one of which is a particle on a ring with a constant electric field perturbation. The un-perturbed problem is straightforward, and we then add a constant electric field in the x-direction (the ring lies in the xy-plane) of magnitude E. Therefore, we add [itex] -ReE \cos \phi [/itex] as a perturbing term to the Hamiltonian. R is the radius of the ring and phi is the angular coordinate on the ring.

We then ask for the first (non-zero) energy correction to the original ground state. Because of the cosine term, the first order correction vanishes, I believe, so we need to look to second order or beyond.

However, the second order correction involved a sum of terms of the form:

[tex] \langle \psi_{k} | H_{1} | \psi_{0} \rangle =\alpha \int_{0}^{2 \pi} d \phi e^{ik \phi} \cos \phi [/tex]

Unless I'm screwing up badly, I believe the above terms are also zero. So am I making a mistake here? Or am I correct and I need to look for third order corrections to get a non-zero term?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think this integral is zero for all ##k##. Write ##\cos \phi = (e^{i\phi} + e^{-i\phi})/2##.

No? I agree it certainly isn't zero in general, but k must be an integer thanks to the periodic boundary conditions on the un-perturbed eigenfunctions. Won't it always vanish when k is an integer? Thanks a lot.

Oh wait...it doesn't vanish for k=1, right? It will vanish for all other integral values of k?

It doesn't vanish for k=-1 as well but negative integers are out of play anyway.

Awesome, thank you. So the point is that the infinite sum which is, in general, required for the 2nd order perturbation correction, simply contains one term?

Delta² said:
It doesn't vanish for k=-1 as well but negative integers are out of play anyway.

No, you have to consider negative integers too; ##e^{ik\phi}## and ##e^{-ik\phi}## are both energy eigenstates of the unperturbed system.

"pi"mp said:
Awesome, thank you. So the point is that the infinite sum which is, in general, required for the 2nd order perturbation correction, simply contains one term?

Two terms; see above.

Last edited:
But since those two distinct eigenfunctions have the same energy, I would need to use the degenerate version of 2nd order perturbation?

Related to Particle on a ring with perturbation

1. What is a "particle on a ring with perturbation"?

A particle on a ring with perturbation is a theoretical model used in physics to study the behavior of a single particle moving along a ring-shaped path (or circle) that is disturbed or perturbed by an external force or potential. This model is often used to understand and analyze the dynamics of particles in quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.

2. How is this model different from a regular particle on a ring?

In a regular particle on a ring, the particle moves along a perfect circular path without any external perturbations. In contrast, the particle on a ring with perturbation experiences an external force or potential that alters its trajectory and behavior. This external force can be caused by various factors such as an electric field, a magnetic field, or an uneven distribution of mass along the ring.

3. What are the applications of studying a particle on a ring with perturbation?

Studying this model can provide insights into the behavior of particles in various physical systems, such as atoms, molecules, and solid-state materials. It can also help in understanding and predicting the properties of these systems, such as energy levels, stability, and response to external forces.

4. What are some techniques used to solve for the dynamics of a particle on a ring with perturbation?

There are several techniques used to solve for the dynamics of a particle on a ring with perturbation, depending on the specific system and perturbation. Some common methods include perturbation theory, numerical simulations, and use of symmetry properties of the system to simplify the calculations.

5. Can this model be extended to study multiple particles on a ring with perturbation?

Yes, this model can be extended to study multiple particles on a ring with perturbation. In this case, the interactions between the particles and the external perturbation can be studied, which can provide insights into the collective behavior of the system. This is useful in understanding phenomena such as superconductivity and quantum entanglement.