Particle on a Ring: Finding Mean Value of Sin(phi)

In summary, the problem involves finding the mean value of the observable Sin\phi for a particle on a ring with radius R in a plane. The Hamiltonian for this system is H_0 = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2mR^2}\frac{d^2}{d\phi^2} and the initial wavefunction at t=0 is \psi=ASin\phi. Using the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues for this system, the mean value of Sin\phi is found by first writing Sin\phi in the basis of functions of ϕ, where it becomes a simple operator. By calculating the action of this operator on a general eigenstate, the mean value can then be easily calculated.
Dansuer

Homework Statement

Consider a particle on a ring with radius R in a plane.
The Hamiltonian is [itex]H_0 = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2mR^2}\frac{d^2}{d\phi^2}[/itex]
The wavefunction at t=0 is [itex]\psi=ASin\phi[/itex]

Find the mean value of the observable [itex]Sin\phi[/itex]

Homework Equations

The eigenfunction are
[itex]\psi_n = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}e^{in\theta}}[/itex]
with eigenvalues
[itex]E_n = \frac{n^2\hbar^2}{2mr^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First i find the state of the system
[itex]\psi=ASin\phi =A \frac{e^{i\phi}-e^{-i\phi}}{2}=\frac{\left|1 \right\rangle -\left|-1\right\rangle}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]
Then i have to calculate
[itex]\left\langle \psi \left| Sin\phi \right| \psi \right\rangle[/itex]
but i don't know how to deal with a function of the operator. I though about expanding it in a taylor series but it does not seem to work.

Any help it's appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
try writing out
[tex]\left\langle \psi \left| Sin\phi \right| \psi \right\rangle[/tex]
in the basis of functions of ##\phi##. Then it shouldn't take you too long to convince yourself that the operator ##Sin\phi## becomes something very simple in this basis. hint: what does the operator ##\phi## become in the ##\phi## basis? (p.s. try not to over-think things)

The ϕ operator in the ϕ becomes the identity operator.
With this in mind, i write [itex]Sin\phi = \frac{e^{i\phi}-e^{-i\phi}}{2i}[/itex]
i'm not really sure where to go from here.
What is [itex]e^{i\phi}\left|1\right\rangle[/itex] ?

In the first post, you wrote:
Dansuer said:
Then i have to calculate
[tex]\left\langle \psi \left| Sin\phi \right| \psi \right\rangle[/tex]
but i don't know how to deal with a function of the operator.
So does this mean that you would know how to calculate ##\left\langle \psi \left| \phi \right| \psi \right\rangle## ? How would you calculate this? Most likely, it will be a similar method to calculate ##\left\langle \psi \left| Sin\phi \right| \psi \right\rangle##

Be careful. The angle operator is not a proper self-adjoint operator on the Hilbert space of periodic square integrable functions, which is the correct Hilbert space for the rotator. It's a good exercise to think about, why this is the case! Another hint: The operators [itex]\sin \phi[/itex] and [itex]\cos \phi[/itex] are self-adjoint operators on this Hilbert space!

I'll look at the action of the operator on a general eigenstate

[itex]Sin\phi \left| n \right\rangle [/itex]

in the [itex]\phi [/itex] basis

[itex]\frac{e^{i\phi}-e^{-i\phi}}{2i} e^{in\phi} = \frac{e^{i(n+1)\phi}-e^{i(n-1)\phi}}{2i}[/itex]

[itex]Sin\phi \left| n \right\rangle =\frac{\left|n+1\right\rangle-\left|n-1\right\rangle}{2i} [/itex]

from this i can calculate the mean values easily.

Related to Particle on a Ring: Finding Mean Value of Sin(phi)

1. What is the physical significance of a particle on a ring?

The physical significance of a particle on a ring is that it represents a simplified model of a particle moving in a circular motion under the influence of a central force. This model is commonly used in various fields of physics, such as quantum mechanics and classical mechanics, to study the behavior of particles in circular paths.

2. How is the mean value of sin(phi) calculated for a particle on a ring?

The mean value of sin(phi) for a particle on a ring is calculated using the quantum mechanical expectation value formula, which involves integrating the wavefunction of the particle over the entire circumference of the ring. This integral is then divided by the circumference of the ring to obtain the mean value.

3. What does the mean value of sin(phi) tell us about the particle's position on the ring?

The mean value of sin(phi) tells us about the average position of the particle on the ring. Since sin(phi) is a periodic function, the mean value provides information about the location of the particle relative to the center of the ring. A mean value of 0 indicates that the particle is on the center of the ring, while a mean value of 1 or -1 indicates that the particle is on the outer edge of the ring.

4. How does the mean value of sin(phi) change with different values of the quantum number n?

The mean value of sin(phi) changes with different values of the quantum number n, which represents the energy level of the particle. As the value of n increases, the mean value of sin(phi) approaches 0, indicating that the particle is more likely to be found at the center of the ring. However, for lower values of n, the mean value of sin(phi) can be closer to 1 or -1, indicating a higher probability of the particle being at the outer edge of the ring.

5. How is the mean value of sin(phi) related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The mean value of sin(phi) is related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle as it provides information about the position of the particle along the ring. The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. This means that by calculating the mean value of sin(phi), we can determine the range of possible positions of the particle on the ring, thus providing insight into its momentum and satisfying the uncertainty principle.