Particle Number Operator (Hermitian?)

In summary, the conversation discusses the particle number operator, N, in the context of the quantic harmonic oscillator. The operator is defined as N = a+.a, where a+ is the conjugate operator of a. The proof of N being hermitian is shown to be N+ = a+.(a+)+ = N. However, there is some confusion in understanding the transition of (a+.a)+ = a+.(a+)+ and clarification is requested.
Mimb8
Particle Number Operator (Hermitian??)

Hey guys,

I'm studying the quantic harmonic oscillator and I'm using "Cohen-Tannoudji Quantum Mechanics Volume 1".

At some point he introduced the particle number operator, N, such that:

N=a+.a , where a+ is the conjugate operator of a.

The line of proof that they used to show that N is hermitian is the following:

N+=a+.(a+)+=N , where N+ is the conjugate operator of N.

Somehow, in ways I cannot understand, this proves it.

But everytime I try and prove it myself I get to the conclusion that N is not hermitian.

Can someone be kind enough and help me with this :)

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Mimb8 said:
The line of proof that they used to show that N is hermitian is the following:

N+=a+.(a+)+=N , where N+ is the conjugate operator of N.

Did you mean to write this? It should be N^+ = (a^+ a)+ = a+ (a+)+ = a+ a = N.

Likes 1 person
Hi George,

I'm not sure I get the transition:

(a+. a)+=a+.(a+)+

Back me up here, if I have the operator (AB) and I apply the conjugate it gives me:

(AB)+=A+.B+

Right?

(I seem to be missing something really obvious here :s)

Mimb8 said:
(AB)+=A+.B+

No, (AB)+ = B+ A+

George Jones said:
No, (AB)+ = B+ A+

Oh...I seem to have misread that property (shame on me).

Thank you :)

Related to Particle Number Operator (Hermitian?)

1. What is a Particle Number Operator?

A Particle Number Operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to measure the number of particles in a given system. It is represented by the symbol ƒ and acts on the wave function of the system to determine the number of particles present.

2. What does the Hermitian property of a Particle Number Operator mean?

The Hermitian property of a Particle Number Operator means that it is a self-adjoint operator, meaning that its adjoint operator is equal to itself. This property is important in quantum mechanics as it ensures that the operator will give real eigenvalues when acting on a wave function.

3. How is the Particle Number Operator related to the Hamiltonian Operator?

The Particle Number Operator is related to the Hamiltonian Operator through the commutator relationship. The commutator of these two operators is equal to the negative of the Particle Number Operator, meaning that they do not commute. This relationship is used in quantum mechanics to better understand the dynamics of particles in a given system.

4. How is the eigenvalue of a Particle Number Operator interpreted?

The eigenvalue of a Particle Number Operator is interpreted as the number of particles present in a given system. When the operator acts on a wave function, it gives the number of particles as a result. This is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of particles in various systems.

5. How is the Particle Number Operator used in real-world applications?

The Particle Number Operator is used in various applications in quantum mechanics, particularly in the study of atoms, molecules, and solid state physics. It is also used in quantum field theory to study the behavior of particles in fields. In experimental physics, the operator is used to measure the number of particles in a given system, providing valuable insights into the nature of matter.