Particle moving with simple harmonic motion

In summary: Q) cancels out, so we have 0.05 = 0.05. Which means that Q can be any value, as long as P = 0.05. So P = 0.05, Q = π / 6. In summary, the values of P and Q in the equation x = P sin (Q t) are P = 0.05 and Q = π / 6.
moenste

Homework Statement

A particle moves with simple harmonic motion in a straight line with amplitude 0.05 m and period 12 s. Find: (a) the maximum speed, (b) the maximum acceleration, of the particle.

Write down the values of the constants P and Q in the equation x / m = P sin [Q (t / s)] which describes its motion.

Answers: (a) 0.026 m s-1, (b) 0.014 m s-2, P = 0.05, Q = π / 6

2. The attempt at a solution
(a) I used the v = (2 π r) / T formula for this part: v = (2 * π * 0.05) / 12 = 0.026 m s-1.

(b) For acceleration I used this formula: a = v2 / r → a = 0.0262 / 0.05 = 0.0137 m s-2.

In terms of P and Q I am somewhat lost. Let's take a look at the formula provided:
  • I think x is the extension = 0.05 m
  • m is the mass, which is unknown and I don't know how to find it (I can only think of KE, but in that case I'll have two unknowns -- KE and m)
  • Both P and Q are unknown, I think we need to plug everything in and then derive P (P = (x / m) / sin [Q (t / s)]) and then plug P into the original equation, but not sure
  • t should be time = 12 s
  • s should be the distance moved s = v t = 0.026 * 0.05 = 1.3 * 10-3 m

In sum, if my logic is correct, I don't see a way how to find m. And I my logic is wrong, how should I approach the given formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
moenste said:
Write down the values of the constants P and Q in the equation x / m = P sin [Q (t / s)] which describes its motion.
I think m and s just represent "meters" and "seconds". m is not mass! To me, that's a confusing way of describing things, but they want P and Q to be without units.

Think of the equation as: x = P sin [Q t], then it should make sense. (Compare that with the standard form of the position as a function of time for SHM.) All the info needed to find P and Q is in the problem statement.

Likes moenste
moenste said:

Homework Statement

A particle moves with simple harmonic motion in a straight line with amplitude 0.05 m and period 12 s. Find: (a) the maximum speed, (b) the maximum acceleration, of the particle.

Answers: (a) 0.026 m s-1, (b) 0.014 m s-2, P = 0.05, Q = π / 6

2. The attempt at a solution
(a) I used the v = (2 π r) / T formula for this part: v = (2 * π * 0.05) / 12 = 0.026 m s-1.

(b) For acceleration I used this formula: a = v2 / r → a = 0.0262 / 0.05 = 0.0137 m s-2.

In terms of P and Q I am somewhat lost. Let's take a look at the formula provided:
  • I think x is the extension = 0.05 m
  • m is the mass, which is unknown and I don't know how to find it (I can only think of KE, but in that case I'll have two unknowns -- KE and m)
  • Both P and Q are unknown, I think we need to plug everything in and then derive P (P = (x / m) / sin [Q (t / s)]) and then plug P into the original equation, but not sure
  • t should be time = 12 s
  • s should be the distance moved s = v t = 0.026 * 0.05 = 1.3 * 10-3 m

In sum, if my logic is correct, I don't see a way how to find m. And I my logic is wrong, how should I approach the given formula?

I think the notation in the question is horrible. Perhaps ##m## stands for "meter" and ##s## for second, but why they would want to write it like that is a mystery to me. A better way would be to say that ##x(t) = a \sin(\omega t)## and say that ##x, a## have units of "meters", ##t## has units of s = seconds, while ##\omega## has units of 1/s = per second. Maybe ##P s = a## and ##Q/s = \omega##.

Note added in edit: Doc Al's post #2 above did not appear on my screen until after I pressed the enter key to submit this message.

Likes moenste
Doc Al said:
I think m and s just represent "meters" and "seconds". m is not mass! To me, that's a confusing way of describing things, but they want P and Q to be without units.

Think of the equation as: x = P sin [Q t], then it should make sense. (Compare that with the standard form of the position as a function of time for SHM.) All the info needed to find P and Q is in the problem statement.
Ray Vickson said:
I think the notation in the question is horrible. Perhaps ##m## stands for "meter" and ##s## for second, but why they would want to write it like that is a mystery to me. A better way would be to say that ##x(t) = a \sin(\omega t)## and say that ##x, a## have units of "meters", ##t## has units of s = seconds, while ##\omega## has units of 1/s = per second. Maybe ##P s = a## and ##Q/s = \omega##.

Note added in edit: Doc Al's post #2 above did not appear on my screen until after I pressed the enter key to submit this message.
Hm, if we simplify the formula to x = P sin (Q t) it in fact makes more sense. We have x = 0.05 m and t = 12 s. P = 0.05 / sin (12 Q). Plug it into the original equation: 0.05 = (0.05 / sin (12 Q)) * sin (12 Q)
0.05 sin (12 Q) = 0.05 sin (12 Q)

Am I missing something?

Update: actually the problem is very weird. If I am required to find ω, then it's just ω = 2 π / T and I get the required answer π / 6. And it looks like P is the amplitude, which is already given and is equal to 0.05 m.

Last edited:
The "standard form" that I mentioned is the equation that Ray Vickson gave you: ## x(t) = a \sin(\omega t)##. Note that "a" is P and ω is Q.

Hint: a is given directly, and ω should be easy to figure out.

Likes moenste
Doc Al said:
The "standard form" that I mentioned is the equation that Ray Vickson gave you: ## x(t) = a \sin(\omega t)##. Note that "a" is P and ω is Q.
I am even more confused now. The original question was about transforming the formula into this one and deriving P just by looking at the given 0.05 amplitude and deriving ω by ω = 2 π / T = π / 6? Or do I need to plug everything in? x(t) will be 0.05 m?

moenste said:
Update: actually the problem is very weird. If I am required to find ω, then it's just ω = 2 π / T and I get the required answer π / 6. And it looks like P is the amplitude, which is already given and is equal to 0.05 m.
Exactly. That's all there is to it. They threw you off with that weird business with the "m" and the "s". (The purpose of that was to get rid of the units. So P = 0.05, not 0.05 m. Seems silly--and confusing--to me.)

Likes moenste
Doc Al said:
Exactly. That's all there is to it. They threw you off with that weird business with the "m" and the "s". (The purpose of that was to get rid of the units. So P = 0.05, not 0.05 m. Seems silly--and confusing--to me.)
Alright, indeed a very confusing problem definition.

moenste said:
The original question was about transforming the formula into this way and deriving P just by looking at the given 0.05 amplitude and deriving ω by ω = 2 π / T = π / 6?
That's right.

moenste said:
Or do I need to plug everything in? x(t) will be 0.05 m?
Nope. Nothing that complicated.

Likes moenste

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a particle oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium position with a constant amplitude and period, following a sinusoidal pattern.

2. What factors affect the motion of a particle in simple harmonic motion?

The motion of a particle in simple harmonic motion is affected by its mass, the spring constant of the system, and the amplitude of the oscillation. These factors determine the frequency and period of the motion.

3. How is simple harmonic motion represented mathematically?

The displacement of a particle in simple harmonic motion can be represented by the equation x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

4. What is the relationship between simple harmonic motion and energy?

In simple harmonic motion, the potential energy of the system is converted into kinetic energy and back again as the particle oscillates. At the equilibrium point, all energy is potential, while at the maximum displacement, all energy is kinetic.

5. How is simple harmonic motion related to real-world phenomena?

Simple harmonic motion can be observed in various real-world phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the oscillations of a mass-spring system. It is also used to model the motion of waves, such as sound and light waves.