Particle Motion Problem: Frequency, Period, Amplitude & Phase Constant

In summary, the conversation discusses the position of a particle given by the equation x=4.00 cos (3.00\pit+\pi), where x is in meters and t is in seconds. The frequency, period, amplitude, and phase constant of the motion can be determined from the equation. The position of the particle at t=0.250 s is found by plugging in the value of t and solving for x. The answer in the book is 2.83 m. The use of radians in the equation is also mentioned.
MJay82

Homework Statement

The position of a particle is given by the expression x=4.00 cos (3.00[tex]\pi[/tex]t+[tex]\pi[/tex]) where x is in meters and t is in seconds. Determine the frequency, period of the motion, amplitude of the motion, the phase constant, and the position of the particle at t=0.250 s. **I don't know why this looks like those pi's seem like superscripts - they're not.

Homework Equations

Not sure - probably what my problem is.

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, I can get the frequency, period, amplitude and phase constant. But what I'm confused about is why I don't just plug .25 s into t in the equation and solve for x to get the position of the particle at t=.25 s, and how to solve the problem correctly. The answer in the book is 2.83 m.

Physics news on Phys.org
MJay82 said:
**I don't know why this looks like those pi's seem like superscripts - they're not.
Use 'inline' Latex tags: 'itex' instead of 'tex': x=4.00 cos (3.00[itex]\pi[/itex]t+[itex]\pi[/itex])

But what I'm confused about is why I don't just plug .25 s into t in the equation and solve for x to get the position of the particle at t=.25 s, and how to solve the problem correctly.
That's all there is to it. Make sure your calculator is in radian mode.

Radians. Gah. Thank you.

Related to Particle Motion Problem: Frequency, Period, Amplitude & Phase Constant

1. What is SHM Particle Question?

SHM Particle Question refers to the concept of Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) in relation to particles. SHM is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the particle from its equilibrium position.

2. How is SHM Particle Question different from regular SHM?

Regular SHM refers to the motion of a single particle, while SHM Particle Question involves the motion of multiple particles. In SHM Particle Question, the particles interact with each other through forces such as gravity or electromagnetism, resulting in a more complex motion.

3. What are some real-life examples of SHM Particle Question?

Some common examples of SHM Particle Question include the motion of pendulums, mass-spring systems, and vibrating strings. These systems involve multiple particles interacting with each other to create a periodic motion.

4. What is the importance of studying SHM Particle Question?

Studying SHM Particle Question allows us to understand and predict the behavior of systems with multiple particles. This is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biology, where many natural phenomena can be described using SHM Particle Question.

5. How can SHM Particle Question be applied in technology?

SHM Particle Question has many practical applications in technology, such as in the design of shock absorbers, oscillating circuits, and seismometers. By understanding how particles interact in SHM, engineers can create more efficient and stable systems for various purposes.