Particle Motion in Homogenous Gravitational and Electrical Fields

• Thread starter Kostas Tzim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the most likely route a particle will follow in a homogenous gravitational and electrical field. The options all have a downward component due to gravity and the direction of the particle's movement depends on its charge. The equations for x and y displacements are discussed and it is determined that the equations are different due to the inclusion of time squared in one and time in the other. The conversation ends with the conclusion that the graph of x and y displacements would result in a straight line.
Kostas Tzim

Homework Statement

http://prntscr.com/6d250v Hello, ignore the greek language. It says that this particle is in a homogenous gravitational and electrical field (from left to right the letters are a,b,c,d,e)

Homework Equations

the question is: Which is the most likely route it'll follow?

The Attempt at a Solution

i cannot understand why it cannot be the b.), I suppose its due to the gravity and the Force cause they stay constant thus it won't move in a parabolic orbit but in a straight line..However i learned that in a electrical field between 2 bars where we ignore the gravitational field the particle moves in a parabolic way...i think I am missing something...

Physics news on Phys.org
If the particle is subatomic, I would have thought you would be permitted to ignore the gravitational force, since this is absolutely tiny. However, all the options have a downward component, so I guess not. The left/right direction depends on the charge of the particle, and remember that gravity and the E field will both cause an acceleration through Newton's second law. But one is (much) stronger than the other, so think about how that would affect the shape.

It's my mistake i didnt mention. The particle has negative charge. I suppose that it's an electron..The answer says its C ( γ) in the picture

anyone? :)

What can you say about each of the gravitational and electrical accelerations? Given that the fields are homogeneous.

they are constant?

Yes. Can you write the equations for the x and y displacements? Assuming accleration g in the y direction and a in the x-direction?

Assuming the particle has no initial velocity. ## y=\dfrac{1}{2}gt^2 ## and ## x=\dfrac{1}{2}at^2 ## where from the ## F=E|q| ## ##<=> #### a=\dfrac{E|q|}{m}##

Why are the equations different? ##t^2## in one and ##t## in another?

sorry i didnt notice i was thinking about velocity

Okay. Now plot x against y on a graph.

if i did this right in a straight line where it starts from the beginning of the axes

It would be a straight line, yes.

i got it now :) thank you very much for your time

Related to Particle Motion in Homogenous Gravitational and Electrical Fields

1. What is the equation for calculating the motion of a particle?

The equation for calculating the motion of a particle is known as the kinematic equations, which are:

• Position: x = x0 + v0t + ½at2
  • Velocity: v = v0 + at
  • Acceleration: a = (v - v0) / t

2. How does the mass of the particle affect its motion?

The mass of a particle does not affect its motion, according to Newton's Second Law of Motion (F = ma). This means that regardless of the mass of a particle, if the same force is applied, it will experience the same acceleration.

3. What is the difference between linear and angular motion?

Linear motion refers to movement in a straight line, while angular motion refers to movement around a fixed point or axis. An example of linear motion would be a car driving on a straight road, while an example of angular motion would be a spinning top.

4. How does friction affect the motion of a particle?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. It can cause a decrease in the speed of a moving particle, or it can prevent a stationary particle from moving. This force is dependent on the surfaces in contact and the normal force between them.

5. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that describes how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that describes both the speed and direction of an object's motion. In other words, speed tells us how fast something is going, while velocity tells us both how fast and in what direction it is moving.