Particle Motion: Finding Position, Velocity, and Acceleration at a Given Time

In summary, the particle moving along the x-axis has a velocity described by the function vx = 5t^2 m/s, an initial position of x0 = 1 m at t0 = 0 s, and a time of t = 1 s. The position, velocity, and acceleration at t = 1 s can be found by differentiating and plugging in t = 1 s. The acceleration is 10 m/s^2, the velocity is 5 m/s, and the position is 6 m.
spin360

Homework Statement

A particle moving along the x-axis has its velocity described by the function vx = 5t^2 m/s, where t is in s. Its initial position is x0 = 1 m at t0 = 0 s. At t = 1 s, find the position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle.

So from that equation... vx = 5t^2, x0 = 1m, t0 = 0s, t1 = 1s

Homework Equations

v1 = v0 + at
x1 = x0 + v0 + (1/2)at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So for the velocity, I just plugged in 1s for t and got 5.0m/s, which is correct. I'm stuck on the acceleration and position though, and I'm thinking it's because I don't know what v0 is. I assumed v0 = 0 because don't you plug in 0 for t in the given function? Which then the answer is 0. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your right, the intial velocity is zero. You can now find the position and acceleration by noting that;

[tex]a = \frac{dv}{dt}\hspace{1cm}\text{and}\hspace{1cm}x = \int v dt[/tex]

When velocity does not vary linearly with time, acceleration is not constant, which means, those equations which hold only when acceleration is constant cannot be used. In this case, velocity varies with the square of time, plotting a graph of velocity versus time shows that the graph is a quadratic function, not linear.

For the position and velocity part, I think you can make it through. I don't know if you've learned basic calculus before but velocity v = dx/dt(change of position with respect to time) and a = dv/dt(change of velocity with respect to time). Differentiate the v(t) function and plug in t = 1s and you get the acceleration.

Ahh okay that makes sense. So I got the acceleration right, just by the derivative. I took the integral of 5t^2... which came out to (5t^3)/3... which gives me 1.667m for position. Webassign says that's incorrect?

Nevermind, I forgot to add 1m :-p

Related to Particle Motion: Finding Position, Velocity, and Acceleration at a Given Time

1. What is a particle motion problem?

A particle motion problem is a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of a single particle or object. This can include determining the position, velocity, or acceleration of the particle at any given time, as well as predicting its future motion based on given conditions.

2. What are the key principles involved in solving a particle motion problem?

The key principles involved in solving a particle motion problem include Newton's laws of motion, kinematics equations, and vector analysis. These principles allow for the calculation of position, velocity, and acceleration of a particle based on its initial conditions and any external forces acting on it.

3. What types of real-world scenarios can be modeled using particle motion problems?

Particle motion problems can be used to model a wide range of scenarios, such as the motion of a projectile, the movement of a car along a curved road, or the trajectory of a satellite in space. They can also be applied to more complex systems, such as the motion of atoms in a gas or the behavior of particles in a fluid.

4. How do you approach solving a particle motion problem?

The first step in solving a particle motion problem is to carefully read and understand the given information, including any diagrams or equations. Then, identify the known and unknown variables and choose the appropriate kinematics equation to solve for the desired quantity. Finally, plug in the given values and solve for the unknown.

5. What are some common challenges when solving particle motion problems?

Some common challenges when solving particle motion problems include accurately identifying the known and unknown variables, applying the correct kinematics equation, and properly considering all external forces and their effects on the particle's motion. Additionally, accounting for the effects of air resistance or friction can add complexity to the problem.