Particle in an electric field- formulae suggestions.

A particle of charge q and rest mass m_0 is accelerated from rest at t=0 in a uniform electric field of magnitude E.so the velocity will always be in the same direction as E :smile:btw, I don't normally approve of "relativistic mass", but in this case I find it easier to remember the equations asFperp = mrelaFpara = mrela/(1 - v2/c2)so I remember the perpendicular force equation as being the same as Newton's :wink:Oh yeah, I remember seeing that before. So since the force is parallel to the x-axis, I use the second one you listed, right?In summary
Alpha&Omega
1. A particle of charge q and rest mass [tex]m_0[/tex] is accelerated from rest at t=0 in a uniform electric field of magnitude E. All other forces are negligible in comparison to the electric field force. Show that after a time t the relativistic expression for the speed of the particle is:

[tex] v=\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+\frac{m_0^2c^2}{q^2E^2t^2}}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I think the equations relevant here have got to be [tex]E_k=(\gamma-1)m_0c^2[/tex] and [tex] E=\frac{F}{q} [/tex].

I've tried rearranging the above equations and substituting them into each other but I can't get anything good. Does anyone know any other useful equations that I might be able to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Alpha&Omega! :smile:

(how come you have two different names? :confused:)
AlphaΩ2134104 said:
[tex] v=\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+\frac{m_0^2c^2}{q^2E^2t^2}}}[/tex]

Does anyone know any other useful equations that I might be able to use?

Hint: with that v, what is (v/c)/√(1 - v2/c2) ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Alpha&Omega! :smile:

(how come you have two different names? :confused:)

I felt insecure. XD

Hint: with that v, what is (v/c)/√(1 - v2/c2) ? :wink:

Do you mean as a physical quantity?

I would just do this:

[tex]\frac{\frac{v}{c}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{\frac{v^2}{c^2}}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}-1[/tex]

Is this what you meant? =S

No :biggrin:, I meant what is (v/c)/√(1 - v2/c2) if [tex] v=\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+\frac{m_0^2c^2}{q^2E^2t^2}}}[/tex] ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
No :biggrin:, I meant what is (v/c)/√(1 - v2/c2) if [tex] v=\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+\frac{m_0^2c^2}{q^2E^2t^2}}}[/tex] ? :wink:

Ah, darn. Let me see:

[tex]\frac{{\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+\frac{m_0^2c^2}{q^2E^2t^2}}}}{c}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(\frac{c}{\sqrt{1+\frac{m_0^2c^2}{q^2E^2t^2}}})^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{{\frac{c^2}{\sqrt{1+\frac{m_0^2c^2}{q^2E^2t^2}}}}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(\frac{c^2}{{1+\frac{m_0^2c^2}{q^2E^2t^2}}})}{c^2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{{\frac{c^2}{\sqrt{1+\frac{m_0^2c^2}{q^2E^2t^2}}}}}{\sqrt{-\frac{m_0^2c62}{q^2E^2t^2}}}[/tex]

Ummm, am I doing it correctly? I've got a complex number as the denominator! =S

uhhh? whadya do? :confused:

should be qEt/m0c :wink:

img040.jpg

magic!

This may sound weird, but how did you know to use [tex]\frac{\frac{v}{c}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]?

Because I knew that m0(v/c)/√(1 - v2/c2) is the … ? :smile:

(btw, it would have save a lot of paper and time if you'd written X, say, instead of that fraction! :wink:)

The momentum divided by c?

So if momentum is MeV/c then in this equation we have MeV/c2 which is the mass!

(I know it would have saved trees, but for some reason I decided to do it this long and complicated way =D).

So I have to work from this equation to the equation posted in the thread.

I just tried it and I noticed that the question doesn't mention whether the applied force is parallel to the x-axis or perpendicular to it. Which expression for relativistic force should I use?

AlphaΩ2135742 said:
The momentum divided by c?

Yup! :biggrin:

So the question is asking you to prove that after time t the momentum is qEt …

what principle of physics would you use to do that? :wink:
I noticed that the question doesn't mention whether the applied force is parallel to the x-axis or perpendicular to it. Which expression for relativistic force should I use?

uhh? :confused: the x-axis is wherever you want it to be

tiny-tim said:
Yup! :biggrin:

So the question is asking you to prove that after time t the momentum is qEt …

what principle of physics would you use to do that? :wink:

Would it be an integral of an expression for the force with respect to time?

uhh? :confused: the x-axis is wherever you want it to be

In my book it has two expressions for relativistic force. One is [tex]F=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}ma[/tex] if it's perpendicular to the x-axis and the other is [tex]F=\frac{1}{(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^\frac{3}{2}}ma[/tex] if the force is in the same direction as the field.

AlphaΩ2136138 said:
Would it be an integral of an expression for the force with respect to time?

I was thinking more along the lines of "Force = …"

(work backwards from the answer! :wink:)
In my book it has two expressions for relativistic force. One is [tex]F=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}ma[/tex] if it's perpendicular to the x-axis and the other is [tex]F=\frac{1}{(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^\frac{3}{2}}ma[/tex] if the force is in the same direction as the field.

ah …
AlphaΩ2134104 said:
A particle of charge q and rest mass [tex]m_0[/tex] is accelerated from rest at t=0 in a uniform electric field of magnitude E.

so the velocity will always be in the same direction as E :smile:

btw, I don't normally approve of "relativistic mass", but in this case I find it easier to remember the equations as

Fperp = mrela

Fpara = mrela/(1 - v2/c2)

so I remember the perpendicular force equation as being the same as Newton's :wink:

Related to Particle in an electric field- formulae suggestions.

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field on a particle?

The formula for calculating the electric field on a particle is E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force experienced by the particle, and q is the charge of the particle.

2. How can I calculate the force on a charged particle in an electric field?

The force on a charged particle in an electric field can be calculated using the formula F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, and E is the electric field.

3. Can the electric field on a particle be negative?

Yes, the electric field on a particle can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the force experienced by the particle.

4. How does increasing the electric field affect the force on a particle?

Increasing the electric field will increase the force on a particle, as the force is directly proportional to the electric field.

5. What is the significance of the electric field on a charged particle?

The electric field on a charged particle plays a crucial role in determining the force experienced by the particle. It also affects the motion of the particle and can be used to manipulate and control the movement of charged particles in various scientific and technological applications.