Particle in a box: possible momentum and probability

L/2 to L/2In summary, The initial wave function, \Psi(x,0), is given by \frac{1}{\sqrt{L}} for \left|x\right| < L/2. When the momentum of the particle is measured, it must be greater than \frac{\hbar}{2L} and the probability can be found by taking the square of the Fourier transform of a(k). The limits for the momentum probability integral are from -infinity to infinity, while the position integral has limits from -L/2 to L/2. If \Psi(x,0) is normalized before the Fourier transform, the resulting momentum expression will also be normalized.
C. Darwin

Homework Statement

[tex]\Psi(x,0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{L}}, ~~~~~~ \left|x\right| < L/2[/tex]

At the same instant, the momentum of the particle is measured, what are the possible values, and with what probability?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know that [tex]\Delta{}x = L[/tex] so can I then say that since [tex]\Delta{}p \geq \frac{\hbar}{2L}[/tex] p must be greater than the same amount?

As far as finding the probability goes, I think I need to do the Fourier transform [tex]a(k) = \int_{-L/2}^{L/2} \frac{1}{\sqrt{L}} e^{-ikx} dx = \frac{2}{k\sqrt{L}}sin(\frac{L}{2}k) [/tex]

Now if I take the square of a(k), how do I normalize it? What are the limits of the integral? If I normalize Psi(x) before I do the Fourier transform, will it be normalized after?

Physics news on Phys.org
been a while since I've done these, but if psi is normalised, & you perform your Fourier transform with the correct constants, the momentum expression will also be normalised. (could always check on an easy function to integrate)

the momentum probability integral will have limits from -infinity to infinity.

The position integration is in essence the same, however you know psi is zero outside the box

Related to Particle in a box: possible momentum and probability

1. What is a particle in a box model?

A particle in a box model is a simplified quantum mechanical model used to understand the behavior of a particle confined to a one-dimensional region. It assumes that the particle is confined within a box with impenetrable walls and is not affected by any external forces.

2. What is the possible momentum of a particle in a box?

The possible momentum of a particle in a box is quantized, meaning it can only have specific discrete values. These values are determined by the size of the box and the mass of the particle, according to the equation p = nh/2L, where n is an integer, h is Planck's constant, and L is the length of the box.

3. How is the probability of finding a particle in a box determined?

The probability of finding a particle in a specific region of the box is determined by the wave function of the particle, which is a mathematical representation of its quantum state. The square of the wave function, known as the probability density, gives the probability of finding the particle at a particular position in the box.

4. Can a particle in a box have zero probability of being found in certain regions?

Yes, it is possible for a particle in a box to have zero probability of being found in certain regions. This occurs when the wave function of the particle has nodes, points where the wave function is equal to zero. These nodes represent regions where the particle cannot be found.

5. How does the size of the box affect the momentum and probability of a particle?

The size of the box directly affects the possible momentum and probability of a particle in a box. A larger box will have a wider range of possible momentum values and a lower probability of finding the particle at any given position. Conversely, a smaller box will have a smaller range of possible momentum values and a higher probability of finding the particle at a specific position.