Particle in a box - perturbation theory

Your name]In summary, to find the ground state energy of a particle restricted to move in one dimension subject to the potential in the attachment, we can use perturbation theory. This involves defining an unperturbed system and a perturbation, and using the first order perturbation theory formula to find the ground state energy of the perturbed system. The potential in the attachment can be expressed in terms of the position operator and evaluated using the ground state wavefunction.
odesa

Homework Statement

Find the ground state energy of a particle restricted to move in one dimension subject to the potential in the attachement using perturbation theory.

Homework Equations

Yo = (2/a)1/2 sin(nπx/a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to account for the potential since there are two wells.

My setup right now using braket notation is E = 2<Y|Y> + <Y|Vo|Y> where Y is the wavefunction Yo = (2/a)1/2 sin(nπx/a)

Can I get some feedback as to if I am headed in the right direction or how to get there if I am not?

Thank you.

Attachments

• well.jpg
    well.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 650
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. To find the ground state energy of a particle restricted to move in one dimension subject to the potential in the attachment, we can use perturbation theory.

First, let's define our unperturbed system, which is the particle restricted to move in one dimension without any potential. In this case, the ground state energy is simply the energy of the particle in the lowest energy state, which can be represented by the wavefunction Yo = (2/a)1/2 sin(nπx/a).

Next, let's define our perturbation, which is the potential in the attachment. This potential introduces an extra term in the Hamiltonian, which we can represent as Vo.

To find the ground state energy of the perturbed system, we can use the first order perturbation theory formula: E = E0 + <Y|Vo|Y>, where E0 is the ground state energy of the unperturbed system and <Y|Vo|Y> is the expectation value of the potential in the ground state wavefunction.

In your attempt at a solution, you have correctly set up the equation using braket notation. However, you have not yet accounted for the potential Vo. To do so, we can express the potential in terms of the position operator x, and then evaluate the expectation value using the ground state wavefunction Yo.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Particle in a box - perturbation theory

1. What is a "Particle in a box" system?

A "Particle in a box" system is a simplified model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a particle confined to a one-dimensional box. The box acts as a potential barrier, restricting the particle's motion in two directions and allowing it to move freely only in one dimension.

2. What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical method used to approximate solutions to complex problems by breaking them down into simpler, solvable parts. In the context of "Particle in a box," perturbation theory is used to calculate the energy levels of the particle when subjected to a perturbing potential, such as a small external force or potential barrier.

3. How does perturbation theory work in the "Particle in a box" system?

In the "Particle in a box" system, perturbation theory involves expanding the Hamiltonian (energy operator) into a series of terms, with the unperturbed Hamiltonian representing the particle's energy in the absence of a perturbing potential. The first-order term in the series represents the correction to the energy due to the perturbation, and higher-order terms can be used to improve the accuracy of the calculation.

4. What are the limitations of perturbation theory in the "Particle in a box" system?

Perturbation theory is only effective in studying small perturbations. If the perturbation is too large, the higher-order terms in the series may become too significant, making the approximation less accurate. Additionally, perturbation theory may not work for systems with degenerate energy levels, where multiple states have the same energy, as it cannot account for level-splitting effects.

5. How is perturbation theory used in practical applications?

Perturbation theory is widely used in various fields of physics and engineering, such as quantum mechanics, solid-state physics, and electromagnetics. In the context of "Particle in a box," perturbation theory is used to calculate the energy levels and wavefunctions of electrons in semiconductor materials, which are crucial for understanding and designing electronic devices such as transistors and solar cells.