Particle Entrainment in a Counter-Current Flow Reactor

In summary: DaveIn summary, Dave does not know how to calculate the maximum gas velocity that can be used in a rotating kiln without the particles becoming entrained.
davidgrant23
Hi there,

I am currently looking to build a rotating kiln to provide the necessary heat/res. time/gases to react a solid feedstock. The problem that I can envision, however, is that the solid (which is fed as small particles) may become entrained in the counter-current gas flow inside the rotating kiln.

Is there some fundamental or empirical relationship between the velocity of the counter-current gas flow and the rate of entrainment of the solid particles?

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your query sounds a little bit like a fluidized bed.

Where does gravity act in relation to your kiln?

Can you elaborate on what you visualize as entrained?

anorlunda said:
Your query sounds a little bit like a fluidized bed.

Where does gravity act in relation to your kiln?

Can you elaborate on what you visualize as entrained?

Hi Anorlunda,

The rotating kiln is inclined slightly away from horizontal (1-5 degrees). The solid particles are fed at the elevated end and travel towards the lower end through rotation of the kiln. While they are traveling a counter-current gas flow is passed through the kiln.

The problem I can envision is that my feedstock (which are fine, low density particles) may become entrained in the counter-current gas flow if the gas velocity is sufficiently high. This will affect the residence time inside the kiln, as well as the mass transfer characteristics. What I'm not sure of, however, is how to take the gas velocity inside the kiln (which I can calculate) and combine that information with the flow properties of the solid particles (density, PSD, shape etc.) to calculate what is the MAXIMUM gas velocity I can run at without having the particles get picked up by the counter current flow and exit the reactor via the gas outlet (instead of the solid outlet).

This problem differs from a fluidized bed reactor as in that case the gas is passed vertically through a stationary bed (inducing fluidization). In this case the particles are traveling horizontally and the flow is counter-current.

Hopefully this cleared up the problem a little.

Cheers,
Dave

That sounds very non-trivial. I'm not sure there is a straightforward way to calculate that max velocity.
The size and density of the solid particles would be critical parameters. centimeters? MIcrons?

I'm afraid your question is over my head. Hopefully, others can help.

If your gas is flowing upward, the particles settling downward, the particles are well separated, the particles are roughly spherical, and the particles are small, then google Stokes' law. You might also google pneumatic conveyor for cases where flow velocities are higher.

Try to check textbooks on cement production.
Regards,

Related to Particle Entrainment in a Counter-Current Flow Reactor

What is particle entrainment?

Particle entrainment refers to the phenomenon where particles are carried away by a fluid flow, often against the direction of the flow. This can occur in various systems, including counter-current flow reactors.

Why is particle entrainment important in counter-current flow reactors?

In counter-current flow reactors, particle entrainment can significantly affect the efficiency and performance of the reactor. This is because entrained particles can lead to clogging, reduced reaction rates, and changes in the reactor's overall flow dynamics.

What factors influence particle entrainment in counter-current flow reactors?

There are several factors that can influence particle entrainment in counter-current flow reactors, including the properties of the particles and the fluid, the reactor design and operating conditions, and the flow patterns within the reactor.

How can particle entrainment be minimized in counter-current flow reactors?

To minimize particle entrainment in counter-current flow reactors, it is important to carefully design the reactor and optimize the operating conditions. This can include using proper baffles, adjusting the flow rate and direction, and choosing suitable particle sizes and properties.

What are some potential applications of particle entrainment in counter-current flow reactors?

Particle entrainment in counter-current flow reactors can have both positive and negative applications. For example, it can be used to enhance mixing and heat transfer in some cases, but it can also cause issues such as particle loss and fouling. Understanding and controlling particle entrainment is crucial for optimizing reactor performance in various industries, including chemical processing, water treatment, and oil refining.