Particle deflection in a Stern-Gerlach experiment

In summary, in a Stern Gerlach device, a beam of atoms can be deflected into two different directions with a 50:50 probability by the field gradient of opposed magnets. The crucial quantity for this sorting effect is the field gradient, not the field strength. A quick online search yielded a forum thread discussing the calculation of the field gradient for a desired beam separation of 1mm. It has been mentioned that there is theoretically no lower limit for the field strength, but at very low energies, the results are only infinitesimal perturbations. The lower limit for the spatial separation of beams is determined by the detector resolution.
Sam McGowan
In the case of a beam of atoms passing between opposed magnets in a Stern Gerlach device and being deflected by the field into two different directions with 50:50 probability, could someone please clarify for me if there is a lower limit of magnetic field strength for this sorting effect to occur?

This is my first post on the forum and I have had a browse for similar threads but please forgive me if I have repeated a previous question.

Thankyou,

Sam

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the link, kith. I have had a closer look now and feel a bit closer to understanding this. I am curious because I have read that in principle there is no lower limit, but it seems that testing at very low energies merely results in infinetessimal perturbations.

Yes, it is simply your detector resolution which gives a lower limit on the spatial separation of beams which you need to achieve.

Related to Particle deflection in a Stern-Gerlach experiment

1. What is a Stern-Gerlach experiment?

A Stern-Gerlach experiment is a scientific experiment that involves passing a beam of particles through an inhomogeneous magnetic field, causing the particles to deflect in different directions depending on their magnetic properties. This experiment was first conducted by Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach in 1922 and has since been used to study the magnetic properties of various particles.

2. What is particle deflection in a Stern-Gerlach experiment?

Particle deflection in a Stern-Gerlach experiment refers to the change in direction of the particles as they pass through the inhomogeneous magnetic field. This deflection is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the magnetic moment of the particles, which is a property that determines how they respond to magnetic fields.

3. How does the magnetic moment of particles affect their deflection in a Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The magnetic moment of particles determines how they respond to magnetic fields, and therefore, it plays a crucial role in their deflection in a Stern-Gerlach experiment. Particles with a non-zero magnetic moment will experience a force in the presence of a magnetic field, causing them to deflect, while particles with a zero magnetic moment will not be affected and will continue on a straight path.

4. What is the significance of particle deflection in a Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The deflection of particles in a Stern-Gerlach experiment is significant because it allows scientists to determine the magnetic properties of the particles being studied. By measuring the direction and degree of deflection, researchers can infer the magnetic moment of the particles and gain valuable insights into their behavior and interactions with other particles.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect particle deflection in a Stern-Gerlach experiment?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect particle deflection in a Stern-Gerlach experiment, such as the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the speed and mass of the particles, and the distance between the particles and the magnetic field. These factors must be carefully controlled and accounted for in order to obtain accurate results from the experiment.