Particle Collision: Example & Kinetic Energy

In summary, there are several examples in nature of two particles with only an attractive force between them directly colliding, such as the Fermilab Tevatron, the former LEP accelerator at CERN, and the former proton anti-proton collider at CERN. Other particle colliders may also exist. The first physicist to discuss building a machine for electron-positron collisions was Burt Richter at Stanford in the mid 1950s. As for theorists, it is unclear who first theorized about these types of collisions before the invention of particle accelerators.
samckx
Hello,

Is there an example in nature of two particles with only an attractive force between them directly colliding? If so, where does the kinetic energy go?

Sam

Physics news on Phys.org
Fermilab collides protons with antiprotons (opposite charge, attractive-Coulomb-force particles), and lots of extra particles emerge from the collision point. The kinetic energy of the collision (≈980 GeV per incident particle) is about 1000 times greater than the rest-mass energy (≈0.938 GeV). See

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/inquiring/physics/collider/index.html

Bob S

Last edited:
Bob,

Thank you for the reply. Do you know if there are other examples in addition to this one? I am curious if this is this example is unique or if there are a range of examples of this type of collision.

Sam

The Fermilab Tevatron is the best example (see my previous post) I can think of that has two mutually attractive particles colliding. Three other examples are:

The former LEP (Large Electron Positron) accelerator at CERN colliding electrons and positrons at about 50 GeV per particle.

The former proton anti-proton collider (SPS, Super Proton Synchrotron) at CERN colliding protons and anti-protons at about 300 GeV per particle.

There was also an electron-proton collider at DESY (in Hamburg Germany).

There may be other particle colliders...

Bob S

Bob,

Thanks. That gives me a good perspective.

This is a bit of different question, but do you know what physicist theorized about such collisions before there were particle accelerators? I assume they must have considered the possibility.

Sam

The first physicist that talked seriously about building a machine for electron-positron collisions (I think) was Burt Richter at Stanford in the mid 1950's (at the Mark III electron accelerator). I now recall that electron-positron collisions were done at the joint MIT-Harvard CEA (Cambridge Electron Accelerator) about 1970.

Theorists? ... I don't know.

Bob S

Related to Particle Collision: Example & Kinetic Energy

What is a particle collision?

A particle collision is a process in which two or more particles come into contact with each other, causing a transfer of energy and possibly resulting in the creation of new particles.

How is kinetic energy involved in particle collisions?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. In a particle collision, kinetic energy is involved as the particles move towards each other, and can be transferred between the particles during the collision.

What is an example of a particle collision?

A common example of a particle collision is when two billiard balls collide on a pool table. As the balls come into contact with each other, they transfer kinetic energy and change direction.

How does the kinetic energy of particles affect the outcome of a collision?

The kinetic energy of particles plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of a collision. If the particles have high kinetic energy, they are more likely to create new particles or cause significant changes in their motion after the collision.

Why is studying particle collisions important in science?

Studying particle collisions is important in science because it helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and the laws that govern their behavior. It also has practical applications in fields such as particle physics, materials science, and engineering.