Particle acceleration in electrical field

In summary, the problem involves three charges placed at specific coordinates on the x and y axes, with a third charge at the origin. The question is asking for the magnitude and direction of acceleration for the third charge if it were free to move. The relevant equations are F=ma and F=k(q1q2)/r^2. The solution involves finding the vector sum of the forces acting on the third charge, and using the Pythagorean theorem to find the total force. The angle of acceleration can be found using the arctan function.
jknight291

Homework Statement

A charge is placed on the x-axis (q=+7.00 [tex]\mu[/tex]C, x=0.600 m), and another charge is placed on the y-axis (q=+9.00 [tex]\mu[/tex]C, x=0.400 m). A third charge (q=-6.00 [tex]\mu[/tex]C, m= 5.00 x 10[tex]^{-8}[/tex] kg) is placed at the coordinate origin. If the charge at the origin were free to move, what would be (a) the magnitude of its acceleration and (b) the direction of its acceleration? Specify your answer in apart (b) as an angle relative to the +x axis.

Homework Equations

Okay, so I know that [tex]\sum[/tex]F = ma, so a= sum(F)/a

Maybe this is relevant: F=k[tex]\frac{q1q2}{r^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First off, I just started the second semester of General Physics. I took the first semester of it 2 1/2 years ago.. So some of the real basic stuff is fuzzy. I know essentially what the question is asking and how to work it. My problem seems to be with the addition of the vectors.

I have set it up as a right triangle (see attachment), so wouldn't I just use the Pythagorean theorem? And if so, do I use the calculated forces or the lengths of the sides? I calculated the F12 to be 3.03 N and F13 to be 1.05 N. After this, I am kind of lost.

And just to be sure for part B, I did theta = arctan(.400/.600) = 33.7 degrees.

Thanks!

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 358
Physics news on Phys.org
these forces act at 90 degree to each other take the vector product n u'll get total force

Related to Particle acceleration in electrical field

1. What is particle acceleration in an electrical field?

Particle acceleration in an electrical field refers to the increase in speed and energy of charged particles when they are subjected to an electric field. This phenomenon occurs when the particles are influenced by the electric force, causing them to accelerate in the direction of the field.

2. How does particle acceleration in an electrical field work?

Particle acceleration in an electrical field is based on the principle of Coulomb's Law, which states that like charges repel each other and opposite charges attract. When a charged particle is placed in an electric field, the electric force acts on it and accelerates it in the direction of the field.

3. What is the role of an electrical field in particle acceleration?

The electrical field provides the force necessary to accelerate the charged particles. The strength of the electric field determines the magnitude of the acceleration, while the direction of the field determines the direction of the acceleration.

4. What are some real-world applications of particle acceleration in an electrical field?

Particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, use electrical fields to accelerate particles to high speeds for scientific research. In medical applications, particle acceleration in an electrical field is used in radiation therapy to target and destroy cancer cells. It is also used in manufacturing and materials processing for surface modification and plasma deposition.

5. Are there any risks associated with particle acceleration in an electrical field?

Particle acceleration in an electrical field can pose a radiation hazard to those working with or near the equipment. Additionally, if the acceleration is too high, it can cause damage to the particles being accelerated or to the equipment itself. Proper safety protocols must be followed to minimize these risks.