Participating in the Putnam Exam as a High School Student: Is it Possible?

• Thread starter Ben1587
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Competition
In summary, the Putnam Exam is only open to undergraduate students who have not yet graduated, so it is not possible for a high school student to take it. However, the coach of a university's team may allow a high school student to participate for fun. Additionally, individuals can only compete in the contest a maximum of four times.
Ben1587
Is it possible to take the putnam exam when your a student in high school?
thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I know that you have to be associated with a university or college. I'm not sure how much of an association is necessary, but I believe that you have to be at least enrolled in the school you are competing for.

You can only compete in the contest four times, though. So entering the contest when you are in high school can prevent you from being able to enter later on when you've accumulated more knowledge and are more prepared.

Ben1587 said:
Is it possible to take the putnam exam when your a student in high school?
thanks

I would say no, because it's only open to people who are in an undergrad program, but who haven't graduated yet. I think that answers your question, but if you still want to write it the coach of your local university's team would probably let you do it for fun. The prof who coaches our team writes it every year (& solves every problem, & takes ~1.5hrs to do each half) & last time I did it there was someone who had already graduated & she was allowed to do it for fun.

Related to Participating in the Putnam Exam as a High School Student: Is it Possible?

1. What is the Putnam competition question?

The Putnam competition question is a mathematical problem-solving competition for undergraduate students in the United States and Canada. It is considered one of the most prestigious and challenging math competitions in North America.

2. Who can participate in the Putnam competition?

The Putnam competition is open to undergraduate students from any college or university in the United States and Canada. Each institution can enter a team of three students to compete, and additional students can participate as individuals.

3. What types of problems are typically included in the Putnam competition?

The Putnam competition questions cover a wide range of mathematical topics, including algebra, geometry, number theory, and combinatorics. They are often designed to test creativity and problem-solving skills rather than just mathematical knowledge.

4. How is the Putnam competition scored?

The Putnam competition is scored on a scale from 0 to 120, with 10 points awarded for each problem. Each problem is graded on a scale from 0 to 10, and teams can earn up to 10 bonus points for high rankings. The team with the highest score is declared the winner.

5. Are there any resources available to help prepare for the Putnam competition?

Yes, there are various resources available to help students prepare for the Putnam competition, including practice problems and previous years' exams. Many colleges and universities also offer study groups and workshops to help students improve their problem-solving skills.