Partial sum of the harmonic series

In summary, the equation has a sum that is greater than 100, but a number close to that sum satisfies the equation.
AwesomeTrains

Homework Statement

I have to find a natural number N that satisfies this equation:

[itex]\sum^{N}_{i=1} \frac{1}{i} > 100 [/itex]

Homework Equations

I tried finding a close form of the sum but couldn't find anything useful.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well after trying some numbers in maple I found a few very large numbers satisfying the inequality.

Any hints are much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
AwesomeTrains said:

Homework Statement

I have to find a natural number N that satisfies this equation:

[itex]\sum^{N}_{i=1} \frac{1}{i} > 100 [/itex]

Homework Equations

I tried finding a close form of the sum but couldn't find anything useful.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well after trying some numbers in maple I found a few very large numbers satisfying the inequality.

Any hints are much appreciated.

Think of the sum as representing a Riemann sum approximating the value of an integral.

Attempt

Thanks for the tip, I have only been doing analysis for around 3 months and we haven't started using integrals yet. Until now we have only looked at sequences and series, are there any other ways of doing it?
Anyways, here is my attempt.
[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{N}_{i}\frac{1}{i} > \int ^{N+1}_{1} \frac{1}{i}di = ln(N+1) = 100[/itex]
(From wikipedia)
Then I can easily solve for N and get [itex]N=e^{100}-1\approx 2.6881\cdot10^{43}[/itex]
Thanks for the help :)

AwesomeTrains said:
Thanks for the tip, I have only been doing analysis for around 3 months and we haven't started using integrals yet. Until now we have only looked at sequences and series, are there any other ways of doing it?
Anyways, here is my attempt.
[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{N}_{i}\frac{1}{i} > \int ^{N+1}_{1} \frac{1}{i}di = ln(N+1) = 100[/itex]
(From wikipedia)
Then I can easily solve for N and get [itex]N=e^{100}-1\approx 2.6881\cdot10^{43}[/itex]
Thanks for the help :)

Yes, I think that's it. But your N there isn't an integer - you want to pick any integer greater than that number. Just a detail.

Likes 1 person
Have you seen the proof that ##\sum_1^\infty \frac 1 i## diverges? You can use that to get a value of N without doing any calculations with logs and exponentials.

The basic idea of the proof is
1/3 + 1/4 > 2(1/4) = 1/2
1/5 + 1/6 + 1/7 + 1/8 > 4(1/8) = 1/2
1/9 ... + 1/16 > 8(1/16) = 1/2
etc

So you can find N = a power of 2, that makes the sum > 200(1/2).

Related to Partial sum of the harmonic series

What is the partial sum of the harmonic series?

The partial sum of the harmonic series is the sum of a finite number of terms in the harmonic series, which is an infinite series that represents the sum of the reciprocals of positive integers.

How is the partial sum of the harmonic series calculated?

The partial sum of the harmonic series can be calculated using the formula Sn = 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... + 1/n, where n is the number of terms in the series.

What is the significance of the partial sum of the harmonic series?

The partial sum of the harmonic series has important implications in mathematics, particularly in the study of infinite series and convergence. It also has applications in physics and engineering, such as in the analysis of circuits and waves.

Is the partial sum of the harmonic series finite or infinite?

The partial sum of the harmonic series is infinite, meaning that it has no finite value. As more terms are added to the series, the sum will continue to increase without bound.

What is the relationship between the partial sum of the harmonic series and the natural logarithm?

The partial sum of the harmonic series is closely related to the natural logarithm. In fact, it can be shown that the limit of the partial sum of the harmonic series as n approaches infinity is equal to ln(n), the natural logarithm of n.