Partial Order Relation and Equivalence Relation

In summary: Thus $R\subseteq R^2$, and we get $R=R^2$.In summary, we discussed the properties of partial order relations and their relationships with equivalence relations. We concluded that if R is a partial order relation, then the composite of R^2 is equal to R. However, R^2 is not necessarily symmetric, as shown by counterexamples.
Yankel
Hello all,

If R is a partial order relation, is it true to say that

\[R\cup R^{-1}\]

\[R^{2}\]

\[R\cap R^{-1}\]

Are equivalence relations ?

Regarding the first one, I think that the answer is yes. If

\[xRx\]

then it remains after the union. Asymmetry means that \[xRy\] without \[yRx\] but when I apply the union both are in, so it becomes symmetric, and there is no reason why transitive won't work. Am I correct, or not even close ? What about the other two ?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
there is no reason why transitive won't work.
There is, actually.

Try to come up with proofs using precise statements and formulas rather than words. If a universal statement is false, this has to be shown by producing a counterexample.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I found an example now, and I did solve the last one.

The only thing I am stuck with is R^2.

Can I say that if R is a partial order relation it's composite R^2=R ? I tried one example which worked.

Yankel said:
Can I say that if R is a partial order relation it's composite R^2=R?
What do you mean by "composite"? It is true that $R$ is transitive iff $R^2\subseteq R$. But does the fact that $R$ is a partial order imply that $R^2$ is symmetric?

By composite I Mean xRRy.

Yankel said:
By composite I Mean xRRy.
It's important to say things correctly. First, $R\circ R$ is called composition (I have not seen the word "composite" used for this). Second, it is not clear what $x$ and $y$ are in $xRRy$. For given $x$ and $y$, $xR^2y$ is true or false, while $R^2$ is a relation, not something true or false.

Yankel said:
Can I say that if R is a partial order relation it's composite R^2=R?
Yes. Since $R$ is transitive, $R^2\subseteq R$. For converse inclusion, if $(x, y)\in R$, then $(y, y)\in R$ due to reflexivity, so $(x, y)\in R^2$.

Related to Partial Order Relation and Equivalence Relation

1. What is a partial order relation?

A partial order relation is a binary relation that is reflexive, antisymmetric, and transitive. In simpler terms, it is a way of comparing two elements in a set where one is either greater than, less than, or equal to the other.

2. How is a partial order relation different from a total order relation?

A total order relation is a stricter form of a partial order relation, where all elements in a set can be compared to each other. In a partial order relation, there may be elements that cannot be compared and are considered incomparable.

3. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a binary relation that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. It is a way of comparing two elements in a set to determine if they are equal or equivalent.

4. How is an equivalence relation different from a partial order relation?

An equivalence relation is a more general form of a partial order relation, where elements can be compared for equality rather than just being greater or less than. This means that all elements in a set are considered to be comparable in an equivalence relation.

5. What are some real-life examples of partial and equivalence relations?

A real-life example of a partial order relation is the "less than" relationship between numbers. For example, 3 is less than 5, and 5 is less than 7. A real-life example of an equivalence relation is the "is equal to" relationship between numbers. For example, 3 is equal to 3, and 5 is equal to 5.