Partial Measurement / Teleportation

In summary, a partial measurement in the context of quantum teleportation refers to a measurement made on one or more entangled particles in order to determine their state. This measurement can result in a partial collapse of the wavefunction, potentially leading to an entangled state between the remaining particles. This is important in the protocol of quantum teleportation, where Alice makes a partial measurement on her qubits and communicates the results to Bob over a classical channel.
msumm21
What is meant by a "partial measurement" or "partial measurement in the Bell basis?"

More specifically, I'm trying to read the Wikipedia article on quantum teleportation, but I don't know what is meant when they say Alice performs a partial measurement on her qubits.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

i do not know what does it mean partial measurement...

up to my knowledge, Alice simply makes a measurement on her qbits in order to find out in what of the 4 Bell states they are. Then I think the protocol contoinues as wikipedia says. So Alice and Bob comunicate through a classical channel and Alice tells Bob the result of her measurement. With these information Bob can recover the initial state and thus the teleportation is accomplished.

Bye

Assuming we have a particle which is in some (spin) entangled state with 1 or more other spin particles. My guess is then that with a partial measurement you only measure the spin component of 1 particle. The measurement causes a "collapse". Normally, you would expect the "collapsed state" to be some unique state. But it's possible in the case of entangled states that the "collapsed state" is itself an entangled state as well, only now of the two remaning particles.

So, a partial measurement causes in some sense a partial collapse. The resulting wavefunction is still in some superposition.

Related to Partial Measurement / Teleportation

What is partial measurement?

Partial measurement is a quantum mechanical process in which only certain properties of a quantum system are measured, while leaving other properties undetermined.

What is teleportation in quantum mechanics?

Teleportation in quantum mechanics refers to the transfer of quantum information from one location to another, without physically moving the quantum system. It utilizes the phenomenon of entanglement to achieve this transfer.

How does partial measurement work?

Partial measurement works by interacting a quantum system with a measuring device, which causes the wave function of the system to collapse and results in a definite value for the measured property. However, the other properties of the system are left in a superposition of states.

What is the purpose of partial measurement?

The purpose of partial measurement is to gain information about a quantum system without fully collapsing its wave function. This allows for the possibility of further measurements to be made on the system, and also plays a crucial role in quantum teleportation.

What are the potential applications of partial measurement and teleportation?

Partial measurement and teleportation have potential applications in quantum computing, secure communication, and quantum cryptography. These processes allow for the transfer of quantum information and the manipulation of quantum states, which can lead to advancements in various fields of science and technology.