Exploring Alternative and Rock Music: My Personal Preferences

• Music
  • Thread starter The Grimmus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, alternative music includes genres such as West African, roots rock, zydeco, punk, blues-based jazz, and hard rock. It can also include alternative rock, heavy metal, and grunge. While some people hate most modern music, I love it all and have grown tired of some of the same genres.
The Grimmus
I was going to make this a post but there where too many genre so i will start:

I like alternative but it has to mean soemthing other than i love this. I also like some rock

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
I like:
1) West African, especially Mali, music eg Oumou Sangare
2) Roots rock, eg early Ry Cooder and Taj Mahal
3) Delta and swamp blues
3) Zydeco
4) Original punk, eg Clash and Sex Pistols
5) Blues-based jazz, eg Wynton Marsalis

I cannot stand:
1) Rap
2) Heavy metal
3) Hard rock
4) Glam rock
5) Concept rock, eg Alan Parsons Project, Tangerine Dream
6) Lite rock
7) Cool jazz
8) Soul
9) Ballads
10) Anything by Mariah Carey

I have spoken, now fall in line.

9) Free form, avant garde jazz
10) Light classical music, eg Vivaldi

All bow to the supremacy of Heavy Metal! The power! The energy! The aggression! The technique! The emotion!

Classical comes in second place, with the more energetic classical being generally better.

10) Anything by Mariah Carey

I 2nd that.
ewww.

I generally listen to stuff that is labeled as alt. rock, classic rock, rap, jazz, and classical

nothing that i really hate. I've grown tired of R&B, and don't really listen to contry, or heavy metal.

Metal! \m/

I believe that the grunge genre produced better music than any other.

eNtRopY

well only becuase out of it grunge came Nirvana and out of Nirvana came ultimate sound

Originally posted by The Grimmus
well only becuase out of it grunge came Nirvana

What are you saying?
You think bands like Sonic Youth, Smashing Pumpkins, Jane's Addiction, Camper van Beethoven, Soundgarden and REM are just chopped liver?

eNtRopY

I'm sorry...sir

I like Classical Music and Opera. I can not stand todays music. It has died on me. The only music i find beautiful is Classical music.

the grunge was some of the last good music produced. much of today's music is too molded, like they tried to follow a formula to get on the radio/mtv. the old stuff speaks, it has a purpose, and it was more creative. the only thing that comes close is some of the independent/underground stuff, that's the only place where music hasn't been corrupted by money.

I 2nd Zeronem - (page 1). Classical opera are my favourite music, simply because it is beautiful and as it is wonderful to just listen to.

I hate most modern day music, mainly because I cannot listen to it, and because it is not music, but noise. (Especially heavy metal, urban and R&B.) Though of course, all people have their own tastes.

Metal! \m/
^^^ Zero, that rocks.

Honestly, I don't think I could say one genre is best -- there are so many good ones. I like pretty much everything mentioned here, with the exceptions of Mariah Carey, opera, and cool/lite/adult music. Playlist usually includes everything from John Lee Hooker to the Ramones, Pink Floyd, Eminem, Zep, Aphex Twin, Hank Williams...

Hard (but not too hard) Rock, Classical (preferably piano solo, but any kind of Classical is good by me), and Country.

I've been cloned

What I was going to say Dissident Dan has said almost exactly the same. Scary. Nothing for me beats the power of Metal. Good classical music comes a close second.

Rock on my friends.

What is the best music genre?

The answer to this question is subjective and varies from person to person. Some may prefer a specific genre based on personal taste, while others may argue that there is no "best" genre as each offers something unique and valuable.

What makes a music genre the best?

Again, this is a matter of personal preference. Some may argue that the best genre is one that is popular and appeals to a wide audience, while others may value authenticity and creativity in a genre.

Which music genre is the most popular?

Pop music is often considered the most popular genre due to its widespread appeal and commercial success. However, this can vary depending on location and cultural influences.

What are the characteristics of the best music genre?

The characteristics of a "best" music genre can vary greatly, but some common traits may include catchy melodies, relatable lyrics, and skilled musicianship.

Is there a definitive way to determine the best music genre?

No, there is no definitive way to determine the best music genre as it is subjective and based on personal taste. However, industry professionals may use metrics such as record sales and streaming numbers to gauge a genre's popularity.