Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Partial fractions

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
Hello MHB,
I got stuck on this integrate
\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty}\frac{2x-4}{(x^2+1)(2x+1)}\)
and my progress
\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \frac{2x-4}{(x^2+1)(2x+1)} = \frac{ax+b}{x^2+1}+ \frac{c}{2x+1}\)
then I get these equation that I can't solve
and I get these equation..
\(\displaystyle 2a+c=0\) that is for \(\displaystyle x^2\)
\(\displaystyle 2b+a=2\) that is for \(\displaystyle x\)
\(\displaystyle b+c=-4\) that is for \(\displaystyle x^0\)
What have I done wrong?

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Re: partial fractions

The only thing I see wrong (besides omitting the differential from your original integral) is the line:

\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \frac{2x-4}{(x^2+1)(2x+1)} = \frac{ax+b}{x^2+1}+ \frac{c}{2x+1}\)
You should simply write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2x-4}{(x^2+1)(2x+1)} = \frac{ax+b}{x^2+1}+ \frac{c}{2x+1}\)

You have correctly determined the resulting linear system of equations. Can you choose and use a method with which to solve it?

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013

The only thing I see wrong (besides omitting the differential from your original integral) is the line:

You should simply write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2x-4}{(x^2+1)(2x+1)} = \frac{ax+b}{x^2+1}+ \frac{c}{2x+1}\)

You have correctly determined the resulting linear system of equations. Can you choose and use a method with which to solve it?
Thanks for pointing that!:) I have actually no clue how to solve it, I don't know what method I should use.

Regards,

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

My choice would be elimination. Try subtracting the third equation from the first, and this will eliminate $c$, then combine this result with the second equation and you have a 2X2 system in $a$ and $b$. Can you state this system?

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013

My choice would be elimination. Try subtracting the third equation from the first, and this will eliminate $c$, then combine this result with the second equation and you have a 2X2 system in $a$ and $b$. Can you state this system?
I made it like a matrice and solved it :) Thanks for the help and sorry for not posting the progress but now I get \(\displaystyle b=0, c=-4, a=2\) and that works fine when I put those value in the equation!:)

Regards,

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012

Any valid method you choose is fine. Your solution is correct and now integration is a breeze. (Rock)

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013

\(\displaystyle 2x-4 = (ax+b)(2x+1)+c(x^2+1)\)

Try the following method to find the constants

First Let $x = -{1 \over 2}$ then you can easily find $c $

Second Let $x =0$ you can find $b$ since you are given $c$

Finally find $a$ given $b$ and $c$ .

TheBigBadBen

May 12, 2013

You should simply write:

Here's a fancy little trick (more commonly used in complex analysis; similar to Zaid's) to get through these sorts of problems. Rather than solving a system of equations, one can simply "plug in some numbers" to get to the answer.

Let's begin at the point where we know that

First of all, multiplying both sides by \(\displaystyle 2x+1\), we have

\(\displaystyle \frac{2x-4}{(x^2+1)} = (2x+1)\frac{ax+b}{x^2+1}+ c\)

Now, having multiplied by our choice of term in the denominator, we plug in a value of x that makes this term zero. \(\displaystyle 2x+1=0\) when \(\displaystyle x=-\frac{1}{2}\), so plug in that value. The first term on the right becomes zero after multiplying, leaving you with:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2(-\frac{1}{2})-4}{((-\frac{1}{2})^2+1)} = c\)

simply plug in to find the answer (c = 4).
We can do something similar with \(\displaystyle x^2+1\). First of all, multiply both sides to get

\(\displaystyle \frac{2x-4}{2x+1} = ax+b+ (x^2+1)\frac{c}{2x+1}\)

Now, we plug in a value of x that makes this term become zero. In this case, we note that \(\displaystyle x^2+1=0\) when \(\displaystyle x=\pm i\). Choosing \(\displaystyle x=i\) and noting that the second term on the right multiplies to zero, this becomes

\(\displaystyle \frac{2i-4}{2i+1} = b + a i\)

Which, after some complex-number algebra, gives you a real and imaginary part corresponding to b and a. That is, the above evaluates to \(\displaystyle 0 + 2i\), telling you that a = 2 and b = 0.

This method is particularly useful when you only want to find a particular term without solving for the rest. Note that this method does not work for irreducible terms in the denominator taken to powers greater than 1; that requires a more subtle approach.