Partial Fraction Decomposition

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the Partial Fraction Decomposition. The Attempt at a Solution has the person trying to solve for c using an LCD but they are not sure how to solve for a and b. They have an extra factor of x on the right side which needs to be fixed in order to see how to solve for b. Finally, the Partial Fraction Decomposition is when the person has found the equations for a, b, and c.
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

Find the Partial Fraction Decomposition.

[tex]\frac{4x^2+2x-1}{x^2(x+1)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{4x^2+2x-1}{x^2(x+1)}=\frac{a}{x}+\frac{b}{x^2}+\frac{c}{(x+1)}[/tex]

[tex]4x^2+2x-1=x^2(x+1)a+x(x+1)b+x^2(x)c[/tex]

So i can solve for c by plugging in -1 for x but I'm not sure how to solve for a and b.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have an extra factor of x on the right side. Fixing that may help you see how to solve for b.

Extra factor? do you mean the right side has too many x? Are you saying that I multiplied by the LCD wrong?

Yes, when you multiplied by the denominator, you did it incorrectly.

How is that wrong? You need to get an LCD of [tex]x^3(x+1)[/tex]

So the only way to do that is to multiply a by [tex]\frac{x^2(x+1)}{x^2(x+1)}[/tex]

b by [tex]\frac{x(x+1)}{x(x+1)}[/tex]

and c by [tex]\frac{x^2(x)}{x^2(x)}[/tex]

themadhatter1 said:
How is that wrong? You need to get an LCD of [tex]x^3(x+1)[/tex]
That's not the LCD. Now, it is still a CD so it's fine to multiply by that -- but you need to multiply both sides by the same thing when solving an equation!

P.S. it's just a system of equations.
P.P.S. why not evaluate at 2 or 17 or anything else?

You may find it easier to think of it as multiplying both sides by the denominator of the LHS:

[tex]x^2(x+1) \left[\frac{4x^2+2x-1}{x^2(x+1)}\right] = x^2(x+1)\left[\frac{a}{x}+\frac{b}{x^2}+\frac{c}{(x+1)}\right][/tex]

When you simplify, you'll get

[tex]4x^2+2x-1 = x(x+1)a + (x+1)b + x^2 c[/tex]

Haha! your right that isn't the LCD.

ok so now I have:

[tex]4x^2+2x-1=x(x+1)a+(x+1)b+x^2c[/tex]

ok so I found c=1 and b=-1 then I can set up a system of equations and find that A=3

Thanks!

Related to Partial Fraction Decomposition

1. What is Partial Fraction Decomposition?

Partial Fraction Decomposition is a mathematical technique used to express a rational function (a fraction with polynomials in the numerator and denominator) as a sum of simpler fractions. It is often used in integration and solving differential equations.

2. Why is Partial Fraction Decomposition useful?

Partial Fraction Decomposition allows us to simplify complex rational functions and make them easier to work with. It also helps us to solve integrals and differential equations that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve.

3. How do you perform Partial Fraction Decomposition?

To perform Partial Fraction Decomposition, you first factor the denominator of the rational function into its irreducible factors. Then, you set up a system of equations using the coefficients of the factors and solve for the unknown coefficients. Finally, you combine the fractions with their respective coefficients to get the simplified form of the function.

4. What types of rational functions can be decomposed using Partial Fraction Decomposition?

Partial Fraction Decomposition can be applied to any proper rational function, which is a fraction where the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator. It can also be used for improper rational functions, but additional steps may be needed to decompose them.

5. Can Partial Fraction Decomposition be used for functions with complex numbers?

Yes, Partial Fraction Decomposition can be used for functions with complex numbers. The unknown coefficients in the system of equations will also be complex numbers, but the process is the same as for real numbers.