Partial Fraction Decomposition

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Partial Fraction Decomposition and its application in evaluating complicated integrals. The speaker is struggling to understand the overall concept and its purpose, but believes that understanding its purpose will make it easier to solve. Partial fractions are commonly used in evaluating integrals, which can be difficult without their use. The speaker, who is currently studying precalculus algebra, learned about partial fractions in a section on linear equations and had to learn how to solve them independently. This explanation of its use helps clarify the concept for the speaker.
jmason52
I am just coming back to math after a, oh 30 year or so, vacation. In the class I'm taking, we are studying Partial Fraction Decomposition ( Px/Qx:Qx). It doesn't entirely make sense to me, tho like a monkey typing the great American novel, I can solve them given enough time. I am just having trouble getting my hands around the overall concept, and I think what's missing is the why: What exactly are they used for, and will I see them again in calculus or DE or anytime soon? I am hoping that if I can understand the why, the how will become easier. Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The main thing I've seen partial fractions used for is in evaluating complicated integrals. If you don't remember exactly what evaluating an integral entails, it's enough to understand that integrating something like (x^3 + 3x^2 - 1) / (x^4 - x + 2) without using partial fractions would be extremely painful (in fact, I'm not sure I could do it without PFs). If you can reduce a rational function to a sum of terms of the form A / (Cx + D) and others of the form (Ax + B) / (Cx^2 + Dx + E), then the integral becomes straightforward (it's just a sum of logarithms and inverse tangents).

Thanks ! :)

I'm just starting the path, taking precalculus algebra, so I haven't been formally introduced to integrals just yet. I ran across Partial fractions in the section we're studying now on linear equations. The book doesn't really say anything about what they're used for, it just sticks a section in right between sections on equations with 2 and equations with 3 variables. The teached skipped over it entirely. So I learned how to do them on my own, but still needed the explanation. This helps a lot.

Related to Partial Fraction Decomposition

1. What is Partial Fraction Decomposition?

Partial Fraction Decomposition is a method used to break down a rational function (a fraction where the numerator and denominator are polynomials) into simpler fractions. This allows us to solve more complex integration problems and simplify algebraic expressions.

2. Why do we use Partial Fraction Decomposition?

Partial Fraction Decomposition allows us to solve more complex integration problems by breaking down a rational function into simpler fractions that can be easily integrated. It also helps us simplify algebraic expressions and make them easier to understand and manipulate.

3. How do we perform Partial Fraction Decomposition?

To perform Partial Fraction Decomposition, we first factor the denominator of the rational function into its irreducible factors. Then, we write the fraction as a sum of simpler fractions with each of the irreducible factors as the denominator. Finally, we solve for the unknown coefficients using algebraic methods.

4. What are the different types of Partial Fraction Decomposition?

The two main types of Partial Fraction Decomposition are proper and improper. In proper decomposition, the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator. In improper decomposition, the degree of the numerator is greater than or equal to the degree of the denominator.

5. When do we use Partial Fraction Decomposition?

Partial Fraction Decomposition is used when we are trying to integrate a rational function or simplify an algebraic expression. It is also used in some areas of science and engineering, such as control systems and signal processing, to break down complex functions into simpler components for analysis.