Explore Important Mythologies - Greek, Roman, Norse, and More

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Important
In summary, the conversation discussed various mythologies that the person wanted to include on their website, including Greek, Roman, Norse, Celtic, Chinese, Egyptian, American Indian, African, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Central and South American, Hindu, Japanese, Pacific Islandic, Babylonian/Assyrian/Ancient Middle-Eastern, Inuit, Australian Aborigine, Maori, Russian/Slavic, Finno-Ugric, Germanic, Druidic, Middle Earth, Lovecraftian, Wicca, Eastern European, and environmentalism. The inclusion of certain religions, such as Hinduism, Christianity, Judaism, and Buddhism, sparked a discussion about the definition of mythology and religion. Ultimately, the conversation highlighted
I am making a site that deals with the important mythologies. I want to include as many as possible. So far I have these:

Greek
Roman
Norse
Celtic
Chinese
Egyptian
American Indian
African

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc.

[edit] Just want to make it clear that I'm being serious. It is my opinion that if you think that Greek mythology is silly, then the stuff they teach in the bible, etc are equally rediculous.

Last edited:
Central and South American peoples.

Hindu
Japanese
Pacific Islandic
Babylonian/Assyrian/Ancient Middle-Eastern
Inuit

Get a globe, close your eyes, and point.

Also:

Australian Aborigine mythology
Mythology of the Maori people of New Zealand.

Cheers.

Originally posted by dduardo
Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc.

[edit] Just want to make it clear that I'm being serious. It is my opinion that if you think that Greek mythology is silly, then the stuff they teach in the bible, etc are equally rediculous.

actually I believe greek mythology is scientific fact, please exuse me as I go pray in my zeus shrine out back.

Russian/slavic
Finno-Ugric, Gotta love that Kalavalla

and, the purely fictional ones

Middle Earth
Lovecraftian
Wicca

Njorl

Eskimo and Canadian Indian (although you may have meant to cover these with American Indian).

Pre-Hindu India

Zoroastrian and other Persian and Middle Eastern Mythologies

What about Germanic Mythology? Druidic? Ooh ooh, there is a question in this weeks Telegraph Crossword which is this

'The German god of thunder, counterpart of the Norse god Thor (5)'

and i have no idea at all, so any input is cool

What about Eastern European Mythology, the Russians have some story about a random dude called Dazhdbog (charming name), the son of the Almighty Perun and a mermaid named Ros...well that's all i can be bothered to read of the google header thing!

actually don't worry bout the Telegraph crossword question, GOOGLE held the answer to that as well...for all those who are interested the German equivalent of Thor was called Donar

Not forgeting the Druids, and other Pagans.

And of course environmentalism... the new anti-scientific mystical Mythology!

i said druids!

The druids were an elite Celtic warrior caste whose exact function or 'extantness' outside of the Goidelic Celts is not well known.

hinduism christianity judaism budhism etc are all actual religions and no shouldn't be included in that forum. the list you had greg seems fine to me...

Middle Earth
Lovecraftian
Wicca

i don't think those would go in mythology really... wouldn't they be in ivans forum?

Originally posted by Shadow
hinduism christianity judaism budhism etc are all actual religions and no shouldn't be included in that forum.

So your telling me that American Indian polytheism isn't a religion. Because they aren't the mainstream they are put into the category of mythology.

Rain god help my harvest grow. boom boom!

from dictionary.com:

1:
A. A body or collection of myths belonging to a people and addressing their origin, history, deities, ancestors, and heroes.
B. A body of myths associated with an event, individual, or institution: “A new mythology, essential to the... American funeral rite, has grown up” (Jessica Mitford).

Uhm, by the above defintion, how could any of the four you claim are not mythologies be excluded.

Aside from turning this into an arguement, could you please show us something that makes stories from the bible or koran more then a myth?

And I would add to the comments of Megashawn and dduardo that it is no myth either that I'll be found this year involved in the annual Deer Dance, which is an all day affair held on the 21st of Dec. I don't think things are as dead as many believe, not that I'm religious mind you, but many of the participants are.

Democracy;
Two religions voting a third to be only a myth.

not that I'm religious mind you, but many of the participants are.

Sounds like a lot of people at church.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Sounds like a lot of people at church.
LOL

1. What is the significance of studying mythologies?

Studying mythologies can provide insight into cultural beliefs, values, and traditions of ancient civilizations. It can also help us understand how these beliefs shaped their society and how they continue to influence modern culture.

2. What are the main differences between Greek, Roman, and Norse mythologies?

Greek and Roman mythologies have many similarities as they share many gods and goddesses, but the main difference is the names of the deities. Norse mythology, on the other hand, has a different pantheon of gods and goddesses and a more complex cosmology.

3. How did these mythologies originate?

The origins of these mythologies vary, but they were typically created to explain natural phenomena, human behavior, and the origins of the world. They were also used to provide moral lessons and entertain audiences through storytelling.

4. What impact do these mythologies have on modern society?

These mythologies continue to impact modern society through their influence on literature, art, music, and popular culture. Many common phrases, symbols, and archetypes are derived from these ancient myths.

5. Are there any similarities between these mythologies and other ancient mythologies?

Yes, there are many similarities between these mythologies and other ancient mythologies from different cultures. Many share similar creation stories, flood myths, and stories of heroic figures. These similarities suggest a common human experience and a shared cultural heritage.