Partial Fraction Decomposition #2

In summary, partial fraction decomposition is a mathematical technique used to simplify rational functions. It is commonly used in calculus, engineering, and physics to solve complex equations. To perform partial fraction decomposition, the denominator of the rational function is factored and a system of equations is set up to solve for unknown coefficients. The benefits of using this technique include simplifying algebraic expressions and solving integration problems. However, not all rational functions can be decomposed using partial fractions, as some may have irreducible factors or when the degree of the numerator is equal to or greater than the degree of the denominator.
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

Write the Partial Fraction decomposition for:

[tex]\frac{x}{16x^4-1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{x}{16x^4-1}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{x}{(2x-1)(2x+1)(4x^2+1)}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{x}{(2x-1)(2x+1)(4x^2+1)}=\frac{a}{(2x-1)}+\frac{b}{(2x+1)}+\frac{cx+d}{4x^2+1}[/tex]

[tex]x=(2x+1)(4x^2+1)a+(2x-1)(4x^2+1)b+(2x-1)(2x+1)(cx+d)[/tex]

From here I can find that A=1/8 and B=1/8

I can't find c and d because I would have to plug in i/2 into x to get [tex](4x^2+1)=0[/tex]

Now, I believe I need to set up a system of equations. I can foil and get what I had into polynomial form and I'd get.

[tex]x=(8a+8b+4c)x^3+(4a-4b+4d)x^2+(2a+2b-c)x+(a-b-d)[/tex]

From here I'm not quite sure what to do to create the system of equations.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Match the coefficients from the LHS and the RHS for each power of x. You can also simplify a bit by plugging in your results for a and b that you found earlier.

BTW, you're missing the x3 term.

Also, the sign is wrong on 4b in the coefficient of x2.

And d shouldn't appear in the coefficient of x.

And you're missing a few contributions to the constant term as well.

Yeah, I foiled incorrectly. but it's fixed now.

so I would have the system of equations[tex]8a+8b+4c+0d=0[/tex]
[tex]4a+4b+0c+4d=0[/tex]
[tex]2a+2b+0c+0d=1[/tex]
[tex]1a-1b-1c-1d=0[/tex]when the system is solved I don't get the right answers.

Also what does LHS and RHS stand for?

Last edited:
You still have a few algebra mistakes. The -c should be part of the coefficient of x1 and not x0.

Ok, I'm certain that my algebra is correct now

[tex]8a+8b+4c+0d=0[/tex]
[tex]4a+4b+0c+4d=0[/tex]
[tex]2a+2b-1c+0d=1[/tex]
[tex]1a-1b+0c-1d=0[/tex]

I get a=0 b=.25 c=-.5 d=-.25

I know the a=1/8 and b=1/8 are correct because it's the answer in the back of my book. So how is this system wrong?

Last edited:
Oh, since you asked, and I see no answer, LHS is left-hand side and RHS is right-hand side of an equation.

There's a much easier way to do this that you have chosen to pursue.

[tex]\frac{x}{16x^4-1}=\frac{A}{(2x-1)}+\frac{B}{(2x+1)}+\frac{Cx+D}{4x^2+1}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow x =A(2x+1)(4x^2 + 1) + B(2x-1)(4x^2 + 1) + (Cx+D)(2x - 1)(2x + 1)[/tex]

The bottom equation has to be true for all values of x, so substitute four values of x to get four equations in four unknowns. If you choose the values wisely you'll get equations that are easy to solve.

Two obvious values to choose are x = 1/2 and x = -1/2.

I saw that and that was how I originally got my a=1/8 and b=1/8 but to get the [tex](4x^2+1)[/tex] to equal 0 you'd have to sub in i/2 for x. can you have an imaginary number in a partial fraction decomposition?

If you sub it in you wind up getting a 2 variable equation

[tex]\frac{i}{2}=(i-1)(i+1)c\frac{i}{2}+d[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-1}{4}=c\frac{i}{2}+d[/tex]

Last edited:
Actually, I'm of the opinion that for any system of equations with more than three unknowns, Hatter's way is the best way. And Hatter, your system is correct. Your solutions are not. Try putting them into your third equation: it won't work. I just used row reduction to work it out, and I got the values for a and b in the back of your book. Are you sure you didn't make a mistake somewhere?

The solutions I found for the system of equations I last posted up are correct. You can plug in the solutions for each equation and the values satisfy each equation. I used a matrix to solve it. Are you solving some different system of equations?

ps. I changed the third equation. It was wrong in the first post with the system. The correct system is the most recent one I posted

Woops, sorry, after looking at your system again, I find that the second equation in the system is wrong. My bad.

Multiplying (2x-1)(4x^2+1) gives a -4 coefficient to the x^2 term. So your second equation should be

[tex]4a - 4b + 0c + 4d = 0[/tex]

There's the mistake. Change the second equation and resolve it. If I'm right (not a guarantee, as you've just seen), you should get the correct solutions.

hmm. aha.. ok let's see...[tex]8a+8b+4c+0d=0[/tex]
[tex]4a-4b+0c+4d=0[/tex]
[tex]2a+2b-1c+0d=1[/tex]
[tex]1a-1b+0c-1d=0[/tex]

Finally haha! a=1/8 b=1/8 c=-1/2 d=0

Thanks, I think we can say that small algebra errors kill. I'll try and be more careful since all my errors were with negatives and simple combining of like terms.

Thanks again!

You're welcome and have a great day! Feel free to come back if you have any other questions.

themadhatter1 said:
hmm. aha.. ok let's see...[tex]8a+8b+4c+0d=0[/tex]
[tex]4a-4b+0c+4d=0[/tex]
[tex]2a+2b-1c+0d=1[/tex]
[tex]1a-1b+0c-1d=0[/tex]

Finally haha! a=1/8 b=1/8 c=-1/2 d=0

Thanks, I think we can say that small algebra errors kill. I'll try and be more careful since all my errors were with negatives and simple combining of like terms.

Thanks again!
Glad to see you got it worked out. One thing you could have done is plugged your answers for a and b in that you found earlier using x=1/2 and x=-1/2 to get

[tex]
\begin{align*}
2+4c & = 0 \\
4d & = 0 \\
1/2-c & = 1 \\
-d & = 0
\end{align*}
[/tex]

You can easily see what c and d have to equal. Also, having four equations and two unknowns provides a check. If the system is inconsistent, you know you made an algebra mistake somewhere.
themadhatter1 said:
I saw that and that was how I originally got my a=1/8 and b=1/8 but to get the [tex](4x^2+1)[/tex] to equal 0 you'd have to sub in i/2 for x. can you have an imaginary number in a partial fraction decomposition?

You can use complex numbers. If you do that, you'd get

[tex]\begin{align*}
\frac{i}{2} & = (i-1)(i+1)(c\frac{i}{2}+d) \\
0 + \frac{1}{2} i& = -ic - 2d
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Since c and d are real, if you equate the real parts of each side, you'd get -2d=0, and the equating the imaginary parts gives you -c=1/2.

The main problem with using complex numbers is that you're much more likely to make algebra mistakes, which, as you have discovered, are easy enough to make already. It's bad enough keeping track of signs, and now you're throwing in multiples of i.

themadhatter1 said:

I substituted x = 0 and x = 1. These values don't get rid of any terms, but that's OK, since you already know that A and B are 1/8.

Related to Partial Fraction Decomposition #2

1. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a mathematical technique used to break down a rational function into simpler fractions. It is used to simplify complex algebraic expressions and solve integration problems.

2. When is partial fraction decomposition used?

Partial fraction decomposition is commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics where rational functions need to be simplified or integrated. It is also used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving complex equations.

3. How do you perform partial fraction decomposition?

To perform partial fraction decomposition, you first factor the denominator of the rational function. Then, you set up a system of equations using the coefficients of the resulting factors. Finally, you solve for the unknown coefficients and write the original rational function as a sum of simpler fractions.

4. What are the benefits of using partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition allows for complex algebraic expressions to be simplified, making them easier to work with and solve. It is also helpful in solving integration problems, as it can transform a difficult integral into a series of simpler integrals.

5. Can all rational functions be decomposed using partial fractions?

No, not all rational functions can be decomposed using partial fractions. Some may have factors that cannot be factored further, resulting in irreducible fractions. Additionally, if the degree of the numerator is equal to or greater than the degree of the denominator, partial fraction decomposition cannot be performed.