Partial Differentiation with Indicial Notation (Ritz Method for FEM)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of partial differentiating a functional with indicial notation. The final line of the first equation is obtained by using the chain rule, where the derivative of the sum of terms involving c_i is equal to the derivative of c_i times the derivative of the term involving c_i. The conversation also mentions that the i in the equation refers to an integer between j=1 and j=N.
bugatti79
Folks,

I am stuck on an example which is partial differenting a functional with indicial notation

The functional ##\displaystyle I(c_1,c_2,...c_N)=\frac{1}{2} \int_0^1 \left [ \left (\sum\limits_{j=1}^N c_j \frac{d \phi_j}{dx}\right )^2-\left(\sum\limits_{j=1}^N c_j \phi_j\right)^2+2x^2 \left(\sum\limits_{j=1}^N c_j \phi_j \right)\right ]dx##

Differentiating this wrt to ##c_i## ie

##\displaystyle \frac{\partial I}{\partial c_i}= \int_0^1 \left[ \frac{d \phi_i}{dx} \left(\sum\limits_{j=1}^N c_j \frac{ d\phi_j}{dx} \right )-\phi_i \left(\sum\limits_{j=1}^N c_j \phi_j \right) + \phi_i x^2 \right] dx##

I don't understand how this last line is obtained. If we focus on the first term. I realize that there is a chain rule procedure. My attempt on the first term in first eqn was

##\displaystyle \frac{\partial I}{\partial c_i}= \frac{1}{2}\int_0^1 \left[ 2\left(\sum\limits_{j=1}^N c_j \frac{ d\phi_j}{dx} \right )\frac{d}{dc_i}\left(\sum\limits_{j=1}^N c_j\frac{ d\phi_j}{dx}\right) \right]dx##

Not sure how to handle the indicial notation or how proceed any further.
Any help will be greatly appreciated...thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
bugatti79 said:
##\displaystyle \frac{\partial I}{\partial c_i}= \frac{1}{2}\int_0^1 \left[ 2\left(\sum\limits_{j=1}^N c_j \frac{ d\phi_j}{dx} \right )\frac{d}{dc_i}\left(\sum\limits_{j=1}^N c_j\frac{ d\phi_j}{dx}\right) \right]dx##

[tex]\frac{d}{dc_i}\left(\sum\limits_{j=1}^N c_j\frac{ d\phi_j}{dx}\right) = \frac{d}{dc_i}\left(c_1\frac{ d\phi_1}{dx} + ... + c_i\frac{ d\phi_i}{dx} + ... + c_N\frac{ d\phi_N}{dx}\right) = 0 + ... + \frac{ d\phi_i}{dx} + ... 0[/tex]

voko said:
[tex]\frac{d}{dc_i}\left(\sum\limits_{j=1}^N c_j\frac{ d\phi_j}{dx}\right) = \frac{d}{dc_i}\left(c_1\frac{ d\phi_1}{dx} + ... + c_i\frac{ d\phi_i}{dx} + ... + c_N\frac{ d\phi_N}{dx}\right) = 0 + ... + \frac{ d\phi_i}{dx} + ... 0[/tex]

Thank you so much. So the i is some integer between j=1 and j=N.

Cheers

Related to Partial Differentiation with Indicial Notation (Ritz Method for FEM)

1. What is partial differentiation with indicial notation?

Partial differentiation with indicial notation is a mathematical method used to calculate the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant. It involves using subscripts to represent the variables and their corresponding derivatives, making it easier to manipulate and solve equations.

2. What is the Ritz method for FEM?

The Ritz method for Finite Element Method (FEM) is a numerical technique used to approximate solutions to partial differential equations. It involves replacing the infinite dimensional problem with a finite dimensional one, making it easier to solve using linear algebra techniques.

3. How is partial differentiation with indicial notation used in the Ritz method for FEM?

In the Ritz method for FEM, partial differentiation with indicial notation is used to derive the weak form of the partial differential equation being solved. This weak form is then used to construct the finite element equations, which are then solved to obtain the approximate solution.

4. What are some advantages of using partial differentiation with indicial notation in the Ritz method for FEM?

One advantage of using partial differentiation with indicial notation in the Ritz method for FEM is that it simplifies the equations and makes them easier to manipulate. It also allows for a more concise representation of the equations, making it easier to spot errors. Additionally, it is a more efficient method for solving problems with multiple variables compared to other numerical techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial differentiation with indicial notation in the Ritz method for FEM?

One limitation of using partial differentiation with indicial notation in the Ritz method for FEM is that it may not be suitable for all types of problems. It is most commonly used for linear problems, and may not provide accurate solutions for nonlinear problems. Additionally, it requires a good understanding of the underlying mathematics and may be more difficult for beginners to grasp compared to other numerical methods.