Understanding 2D Worlds: The Perception of Shapes in Flatland

• Thread starter Pflip
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of 3D objects entering a 2D world and how the flatlanders would perceive them. They could identify the shape based on lighting and shading, and also by using their two eyes to create a mental image. The elite flatlanders were skilled at recognizing shapes in this way. The conversation also touches on the idea that beings in any dimension only need two eyes to see, as the combination of the two images in the brain adds the last dimension. The question is raised about how the flatlanders could perceive a 3D object as a circle instead of any other shape, and various explanations are given.
Pflip
[SOLVED] Flatland question

In Hyperspace, Mr. Kaku makes several references to a 3D object entering a 2D world. If the object is say, a ball, he notes that the 2D people would see a giant, dark circle.

My question is how they can tell it's a circle. It would seem that if the ball were to come down in front of them, all they would see is a darknesss on the horizon. How could they possibly get a "bird's eye view" and see the outline of the object?

Thanks,
>>>--mark-->

Physics news on Phys.org
In Flatland they would maneuver around it and discover it has no corners, and thus discover it's a priest - i.e. what we call a circle. After all, what they could see of each other was only a dark stripe too- recognition was tactile.

BTW, Welcome to the forums. Nice to have you.

They don't even have to maneuver around the circle - having two eyes, they could make out the shape of the circle using binocular vision to visualize the shape inside their head. Shading would also give clues to its shape. We do these same things in the third dimension when we see spheres. Hold a ball in front of yourself and ask yourself how you know it is a sphere and not a disk.

You can get more explanations of the dimensional interactions at my website:

Fourth Dimension: Tetraspace

OK, I can buy both explanations, of course the examples in the book don't mention the flatlanders moving around, merely that they see a giant circle appear.

As for knowing the ball is a sphere and not a disk, I could only do that if it were close enough.

It's a little hard to imagine seeing something that has NO height. But these are fascinating concepts to consider. I look forward to many more discussions.

>>>--mark-->

The elite flatlanders practiced the art of identifying the shape based on lighting; the omnipresent fog would dim the figure before them in a characteristic pattern and those who trained in sight recognition could tell the shape from the color pattern.

Generalizing, a person of dimension n will see a hyperplane of dimension n-1 (flatlanders see a line, we see a plane, "tetronians" see a "realm"). Thus, a being in any dimension would only need 2 eyes, because the combination of the two images in the brain adds the last dimension and brings the image up to dimension n.

Originally posted by Pflip
My question is how they can tell it's a circle. It would seem that if the ball were to come down in front of them, all they would see is a darknesss on the horizon. How could they possibly get a "bird's eye view" and see the outline of the object?
I don't remember precisely but I believe he said that if their plane was to
pass past the object then they'd "see" a circle - the line would first get
wider and then narrower again. (Couldn't read past the middle of that book,
all that art stuff bored me to death, I guess I should finish reading it sometime.)

Live long and prosper.

i think the question was how the flatlander could perceive the shape as a circle, as opposed to them thinking it was a line, square, triangle, or any other shape. If they thought it was a line, then they would see a line grow & shrink instead of thinking it was a circle doing that.

1. What is a 2D world?

A 2D world is a two-dimensional space that only has length and width, with no depth or height. In other words, it is a flat world that exists on a single plane. This is in contrast to our 3D world, which also includes height and depth dimensions.

2. How do we perceive shapes in a 2D world?

In a 2D world, we perceive shapes based on their outlines and the way they are positioned in relation to each other. We do not have the ability to see the depth of an object, so we rely on other cues such as shading and perspective to understand its shape and size.

3. What is the significance of understanding 2D worlds?

Understanding 2D worlds can help us better understand how our brains process visual information and how we perceive the world around us. It can also be used in fields such as computer graphics and virtual reality to create 2D simulations and experiences.

4. How does our understanding of 2D worlds differ from that of creatures living in a 2D world?

Creatures living in a 2D world would have a completely different perception and understanding of shapes compared to us living in a 3D world. They would not have the concept of depth or perspective, and their visual system would be adapted to interpreting shapes and objects in a flat plane.

5. Can we ever fully understand a 2D world as a 3D being?

While we can study and try to understand 2D worlds, it is impossible for us to fully comprehend it as 3D beings. Our brains are wired to understand and perceive the world in three dimensions, and it is difficult for us to imagine a world without depth. However, through research and experimentation, we can gain a better understanding of how 2D worlds function and how creatures living in them perceive their surroundings.