Geologic Dating: Accuracy and Methods

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Accuracy
In summary, the conversation discusses the different methods used by geologists and paleontologists to date rocks and fossils. The speaker also asks about the accuracy of these methods, the margin of error for each, and how they would be affected by a large water canopy or global flood. They reference various resources, including talkorigins.org, for more information.
Mentat
No, I'm not talking about courting strategies , I'm talking about the methods by which geologists date rocks and paleontologists date fossils.

First off, I'd like to know what the different methods are.

But, more importantly, I'd like to know how accurate they are...what is the margin of error on each method? Which is the most accurate method? Which is the least accurate?

Any info on this is appreciated.

P.S. if this belongs in some other forum, please move it, it just seemed to fit here.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I'd like to do something now that I very rarely do. I'm going to combine another thread on this forum (entitled "Water Canopy") with this one, and add the question: What effect would a large Canopy of water have on the dating methods? What effect would a global flood have? Would not the sedimentary strata be "mixed up" a bit? Would not the radiometric dating be a bit confused by the lesser amounts of cosmic rays reaching the surface, due to the Canopy?

Note: These particular questions are not my own. A good friend of mine (creationist, unfortunately) wishes for an answer, but doesn't wish to become a member (yet?).

So, any answers to these questions are doubly appreciated :smile:.

Thanks, Ambitwistor! :smile:

Good sites.

What is geologic dating?

Geologic dating is a method used by scientists to determine the age of rocks, fossils, and other geological features on Earth. It involves studying the layers of sedimentary rock and using various techniques to determine the relative and absolute ages of these layers.

Why is geologic dating important?

Geologic dating is important because it allows us to understand the history of Earth and the processes that have shaped our planet over time. It also helps us to understand the evolution of life on Earth and how different species have changed and adapted over millions of years.

What are the different methods of geologic dating?

There are several methods of geologic dating, including relative dating, radiometric dating, and stratigraphy. Relative dating involves comparing the age of one rock layer to another, while radiometric dating uses the decay of radioactive elements to determine the absolute age of a rock. Stratigraphy involves studying the layers of sedimentary rock and the fossils found within them to determine the relative ages of rocks and fossils.

How accurate is geologic dating?

The accuracy of geologic dating depends on the methods used and the type of material being dated. Radiometric dating is generally considered to be the most accurate method, with an accuracy of plus or minus a few million years. However, all methods of geologic dating have limitations and margin of error.

What are the limitations of geologic dating?

One limitation of geologic dating is that it is based on assumptions and can be affected by outside factors, such as contamination or incomplete data. Additionally, not all rocks and fossils can be dated using the same techniques, and some materials may not contain enough radioactive elements for accurate dating. It is important for scientists to use multiple methods and cross-check their results to ensure accuracy.