Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Partial Derivatives

OhMyMarkov

Mar 5, 2012
Hello Everyone!

This has been confusing me a lot: consider a function $f(x) = x^2 + 2x + 3$. Now, $\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = 2x + 2$. Now, someone tells me that $y = x^2$. What is $\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}$ now?

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Hello Everyone!

This has been confusing me a lot: consider a function $f(x) = x^2 + 2x + 3$. Now, $\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = 2x + 2$. Now, someone tells me that $y = x^2$. What is $\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}$ now?
Hi OhMyMarkov, :)

What method did you use to differentiate \(f(x) = x^2 + 2x + 3\) ?

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
Hello Everyone!

It would help if you used a consistent notation, and were more explicit with the question.

If you are asking: if \(f(x,y)=y+2x+3\) what is \(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\)? Then the answer is:

\(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=2\)

but we are treating \(y\) as a seperate variable from \(x\), if it is a function of \(x\) we have:

\(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}+2=2x+2\)

CB

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Hello Everyone!

Hi OhMyMarkov, :)

What method did you use to differentiate \(f(x) = x^2 + 2x + 3\) ?
Hi OhMyMarkov,

I think CaptainBlack has given you a complete explanation about all you need to know. :)

Looking at your question what I thought was, you have differentiated \(f(x) = x^2 + 2x + 3\) with respect to \(x\) either by using the definition of the derivative or by using derivatives of elementary functions. So you want to find out how to differentiate \(y=x^2\) using the same method.

Can you please elaborate more about what your question is?

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
Hello Everyone!

Your notation isn't quite standard. If f(x) is a function of the single varable, x, then the derivative should be written $\frac{df}{dx}= 2x+ 2$, an "ordinary" derivative, not a partial derivative.

If, further, $y= x^2$ so that f(x,y)= y+ 2x+ 3, we have $\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= 2$ and $\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}= 1$. But knowing that $y= x^2$, so that $\frac{dy}{dx}= 2x$, we can use the chain rule to regain $\frac{df}{dx}$$= \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dx}$$= 1(2x)+ 2(1)= 2x+ 2$ as before.

OhMyMarkov

Mar 5, 2012
I'm asking about this in relation to a problem of a more general scope, optimization. If we have more than one variable, x1, x2, ... xK, with a subtle relationship between the variables (kind of like how the expectation of an RV is related to the trace of a covariance matrix, for e.g.). When trying to find a minimum of a function, should we treat the problem as single-variable or multiple-variable.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
I'm asking about this in relation to a problem of a more general scope, optimization. If we have more than one variable, x1, x2, ... xK, with a subtle relationship between the variables (kind of like how the expectation of an RV is related to the trace of a covariance matrix, for e.g.). When trying to find a minimum of a function, should we treat the problem as single-variable or multiple-variable.
Multi-variable constrained optimisation.

Unconstrained if you can use the side condition/s to eliminate one of the variable from the objective.

CB