Partial derivatives (Maxwell relations) in thermodynamics

In summary: Thanks for catching that! Actually "we begin with" the gas law and that is incorporated into the entropy function so I got overly inclusive with the...sloppiness analogy. Thanks for catching that!
AxiomOfChoice
My professor did this in lecture, and I can't figure out his logic. Can someone fill in the gaps?

He went from:

[tex]
dS = \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial P} \right)_T dP + \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right)_P dT
[/tex]

(which I totally understand; it just follows from the fact that [itex]S[/itex] is an exact differential) to the following:

[tex]
\left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right)_V = \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial P} \right)_T \left( \frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V + \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right)_P
[/tex]

Where the heck does THAT come from? Anyone have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
AxiomOfChoice said:
My professor did this in lecture, and I can't figure out his logic. Can someone fill in the gaps?

He went from:

[tex]
dS = \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial P} \right)_T dP + \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right)_P dT
[/tex]

(which I totally understand; it just follows from the fact that [itex]S[/itex] is an exact differential) to the following:

[tex]
\left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right)_V = \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial P} \right)_T \left( \frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V + \left( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right)_P
[/tex]

The first equation tells you that [itex]S[/itex] can be written as a function of [itex]T[/itex] and [itex]P[/itex] only... i.e. [itex]S=S(P,T)[/itex]...the second equation is just a straight forward application of the chain rule to [itex]S(P,T)[/itex]

gabbagabbahey said:
The first equation tells you that [itex]S[/itex] can be written as a function of [itex]T[/itex] and [itex]P[/itex] only... i.e. [itex]S=S(P,T)[/itex]...the second equation is just a straight forward application of the chain rule to [itex]S(P,T)[/itex]

Thanks for your response, but I'm afraid I don't understand. How can a "straightforward application of the chain rule to [itex]S(P,T)[/itex]" involve the variable [itex]V[/itex]? I would think such an application could only contain the variables [itex]S, T, P[/itex].

Last edited:
AxiomOfChoice said:
Thanks for your response, but I'm afraid I don't understand. How can a "straightforward application of the chain rule to [itex]S(P,T)[/itex]" involve the variable [itex]V[/itex]? I would think such an application could only contain the variables [itex]S, T, P[/itex].

Both [itex]T[/itex] and [itex]P[/itex] may have some dependence on [itex]V[/itex].

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V[/tex]

simply means the partial derivative of [itex]S[/itex], with repect to [itex]T[/itex], taken at constant [itex]V[/itex]. Whenever you calculate a partial derivative of a multivariable function, you're always holding at least one variable constant.

gabbagabbahey said:
Whenever you calculate a partial derivative of a multivariable function, you're always holding at least one variable constant.

Actually, all the other variables are constant.
AxiomOfChoice said:

He went from:

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

When it come to the chain rule, often physicists are very sloppy. Start with [itex]S=S\left(P,T\right)[/itex] and suppose that pressure is a function of volume and temperature. Define

[tex] \tilde{S} \left(V,T\right) = S \left( P\left(V,T\right) , T \right).[/tex]

Now, use the chain rule to calculate [tex]\partial \tilde{S} / \partial T[/tex].

Although [itex]S[/itex] and [tex]\tilde{S}[/tex] are very related, they actually are different functions.

George Jones said:
Actually, all the other variables are constant.When it come to the chain rule, often physicists are very sloppy. Start with [itex]S=S\left(P,T\right)[/itex] and suppose that pressure is a function of volume and temperature. Define

[tex] \tilde{S} \left(V,T\right) = S \left( P\left(V,T\right) , T \right).[/tex]

Now, use the chain rule to calculate [tex]\partial \tilde{S} / \partial T[/tex].

Although [itex]S[/itex] and [tex]\tilde{S}[/tex] are very related, they actually are different functions.

You beat me to it. But let me add. The real problem (sloppiness) is that we confuse the variables with the functions e.g. x = x(t). We should really begin with entropy as a function of T, P,N and V.
S = s(T,P,N,V) so
[tex]dS = \frac{\partial s}{\partial P} dP + \frac{\partial s}{\partial T} dT + \frac{\partial s}{\partial V}dV + \frac{\partial s}{\partial N}dN[/tex]
But we also have a constraint on T,P, N, and V via the physical gas law. This we can express implicitly f(P,V,N,T)=0, or solve for any of the four quantities as a function of the other three.

[tex]P = p(V,T,N)[/tex]
[tex]V = v(P,T,N)[/tex]
[tex]T = t(P,V,N)[/tex]
[tex]N = n(P,V,T)[/tex]

Differentiate each of these to relate their partials to f's.

We then may impose a condition such as constancy of volume or temperature, etc.

It may be rather lengthy but I think worthwhile to go through the long derivation then practice converting to the "sloppy" form used.

[EDIT]: Actually "we begin with" the gas law and that is incorporated into the entropy function so I got overly inclusive with the variables.

Last edited:
Maybe he used Maxwell relations?
Its a difficult to calculate.
But you can find loads of ways to find similar relations :
G(T,P)

Related to Partial derivatives (Maxwell relations) in thermodynamics

1. What are partial derivatives in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, partial derivatives refer to the rate of change of a particular thermodynamic property with respect to a specific variable while keeping all other variables constant. This allows us to analyze the behavior of a system in response to changes in one variable at a time.

2. How are partial derivatives related to Maxwell's relations?

Maxwell's relations are a set of equations that relate different thermodynamic properties. These relations can be derived using partial derivatives and the fundamental equations of thermodynamics. Therefore, partial derivatives play a crucial role in establishing the connections between different thermodynamic variables in Maxwell's relations.

3. What is the significance of partial derivatives in thermodynamics?

Partial derivatives are essential in thermodynamics as they allow us to quantify the behavior of a system in response to changes in specific variables. This enables us to predict and understand the properties and behavior of a system, which is crucial in various engineering and scientific applications.

4. How are partial derivatives calculated in thermodynamics?

Partial derivatives in thermodynamics can be calculated using various mathematical techniques, such as the chain rule, product rule, and quotient rule. These rules allow us to find the rate of change of a function with respect to a particular variable while keeping other variables constant.

5. Can you give an example of a Maxwell relation using partial derivatives?

One example of a Maxwell relation using partial derivatives is the relation between the isothermal compressibility (κ) and the coefficient of thermal expansion (α) in an ideal gas. This relation is given by κ = -1/V * (∂V/∂P)_T = 1/P * (∂P/∂T)_V = α/κ.