Partial derivative properties rule

In summary: It's impossible to know what you mean by that notation. You have to provide more information when you ask a question.
shabnam
Hi I need help regarding following

can I write following partial derivative wrt x multiplied by Ax

(∂A[x])Ax =∂(Ax^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
shabnam said:

(∂A[x])Ax =∂(Ax^2)

Usually they would by interpreted differently. The left side is Ax multiplied by the derivative of Ax, while the right side is the derivative of the square.

What do you mean by the square brackets on the LHS? I.e., does it mean A is a function of x or is it an unnecessary bracket?

Are you asking does the following hold true
[tex]
\left( \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left( Ax \right) \right) Ax = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left( (Ax)^{2} \right)
[/tex]

(i.e., is the derivative of the square of the function##Ax## wrt x (right hand side) equal the derivative of the function ##Ax## multiplied by ##Ax##)

?

Or is A a constant? If so then they aren't the same thing,

Last edited:
shabnam said:

(∂A[x])Ax =∂(Ax^2)
It's impossible to know what you mean by that notation. You have to provide more information when you ask a question.

Looks like more than one person in this thread might find the LaTeX FAQ useful. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3977517#post3977517

Last edited:
Do you mean
[tex]\frac{\partial Ax}{\partial x} Ax= \frac{\partial Ax^2}{\partial x}[/tex]?

Is A a constant? If so it is clear that those are not the same:
[tex]\frac{\partial Ax}{\partial x}Ax= A^2x \frac{\partial x}{\partial x}= A^2x[/tex]
while
[tex]\frac{\partial Ax^2}{\partial x}= A\frac{\partial x^2}{\partial x}= 2Ax[/tex]

(Why did you want to treat this as a partial derivative when there is only the one variable, x?)

Related to Partial derivative properties rule

1. What is the partial derivative properties rule?

The partial derivative properties rule is a mathematical rule that describes how to differentiate a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant. It is a fundamental rule in multivariable calculus and is used to solve optimization problems and analyze the behavior of functions.

2. What is the formula for the partial derivative properties rule?

The formula for the partial derivative properties rule is:

d/dx (f(x,y)) = ∂f/∂x + (∂f/∂y)(dy/dx)

This formula applies to functions with two independent variables, x and y.

3. What are the main properties of the partial derivative properties rule?

The main properties of the partial derivative properties rule include the linearity property, the product rule, and the chain rule. The linearity property states that the partial derivative of a linear combination of two functions is equal to the linear combination of the partial derivatives of the two functions. The product rule states that the partial derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function times the partial derivative of the second function plus the second function times the partial derivative of the first function. The chain rule states that the partial derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function times the partial derivative of the inner function.

4. How is the partial derivative properties rule used in real-world applications?

The partial derivative properties rule is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and engineering. It is used to analyze the behavior of systems with multiple variables and to find optimal solutions to problems. For example, it can be used to determine the maximum profit for a company by taking into account the relationship between production costs and sales.

5. What are some common mistakes when applying the partial derivative properties rule?

Some common mistakes when applying the partial derivative properties rule include forgetting to use the chain rule when dealing with composite functions, not considering the other variables as constants when taking the partial derivative, and incorrectly applying the product rule. It is important to carefully follow the rules and pay attention to the details when using the partial derivative properties rule to avoid making mistakes and obtaining incorrect results.