Partial derivative of Psi function

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the time derivative of the expectation value of momentum, and different approaches are suggested to prove that the terms inside the integral are equal to zero. The first approach involves using integration by parts, while the second approach involves using the second postulate of canonical quantization. Eventually, it is shown that the terms inside the integral do indeed cancel out and the desired result is obtained.
Rahmuss

Homework Statement

Calculate [tex]d\left\langle p\right\rangle/dt.[/tex] Answer:

Homework Equations

[tex]d\left\langle p\right\rangle/dt = \left\langle -\partial V / \partial x\right\rangle[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been through the rigor down to getting
[tex]\left\langle -\partial V / \partial x\right\rangle + \int \hbar ^{2}/2m (\Psi ^{*} \partial ^{3}/\partial x^{3} \Psi - \partial ^{2} \Psi ^{*}/\partial x^{2} \partial \Psi /\partial x) dx[/tex]

So I have what I'm looking for (ie. [tex]d\left\langle p\right\rangle/dt = \left\langle -\partial V / \partial x\right\rangle[/tex]); but I need to prove the rest of it (what's inside the integrand) as being equal to zero. So I'm wondering if there is anything which proves that [tex]\partial ^{2}\Psi ^{*}/\partial x^{2} = \partial ^{2}\Psi /\partial x^{2}[/tex]?

If not, someone else showed me another method which uses the old [tex]d/dt (A*B) = (d/dt A *B) + (A * d/dt B)[/tex].

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is my question not very clear maybe? I'm just wondering how I can prove that what's inside the integral is equal to zero. I was trying to do it by proving that [tex]\partial ^{2} \Psi ^{*}/\partial x^{2} = \partial ^{2} \Psi /\partial x^{2}[/tex]; but maybe there is another way to approach it? I just need a direction to head in and I can do the work.

Try integration by parts.

Psi* d3(Psi) = d(Psi*d2(Psi))-d(Psi*)d2(Psi)

The first term will vanish since Psi at infinity vanishes. Play around with the second term. Sorry, I'm i a bit of a rush. I'll look at the problem later this evening.

ChaoticOrder - Ok, so [tex]\Psi ^{*}\partial ^{3}\Psi /\partial x^{3} = \partial /\partial x(\Psi ^{*}\partial ^{2}/\partial x^{2}(\Psi ))-\partial /\partial x(\Psi ^{*})\partial^{2}/\partial x^{2}(\Psi )[/tex]?

Look at it this way. It's much simpler. Use the canonical quantization scheme in the second postulate. Start with the classical problem. For a classical hamiltonian [itex] H(x,p)=\frac{p^{2}}{2m}+V(x) [/itex], the Hamilton motion equation is

[tex]\frac{dp}{dt}=\left[p,H(x,p)\right]_{PB} = -\frac{dV(x)}{dx} [/tex]

Quantize using the second postulate. By this you land in the Heisenberg picture, Schrödinger representation and, at an operator level

[tex] \frac{d\hat{p}}{dt}= - \frac{dV(x)}{dx} \hat{1}_{L^{2}(\mathbb{R},dx)} [/tex]

Take matrix element for an arbitrary state and you're there.

Rahmuss said:
ChaoticOrder - Ok, so [tex]\Psi ^{*}\partial ^{3}\Psi /\partial x^{3} = \partial /\partial x(\Psi ^{*}\partial ^{2}/\partial x^{2}(\Psi ))-\partial /\partial x(\Psi ^{*})\partial^{2}/\partial x^{2}(\Psi )[/tex]?

Right. The first term is a total derivative so the integral will give zero (assuming the usual condition that the wavefunction is normalized so it must go to zero faster than bla bla bla). Now, do an integration by parts again of the second term. Again, a surface term will go to zero and in the end you will find that,

[tex] \int \Psi^* \partial^3 \Psi = \int (\partial^2 ~\Psi^*) \partial \Psi [/tex]
so this will cancel the other term you had in your first post.

dextercioby - Wow, so that approach is starting from my initial probelm right? I'm not sure what the "second postulate" is (my class has just started); but I can check that out. It looks pretty straight forward and easy to show. Thanks.

nrqed - Ah, thank you for pointing that out. I now understand what my friend was saying for the other method he used to solve it. Thanks for the help.

Related to Partial derivative of Psi function

1. What is a partial derivative of a Psi function?

A partial derivative of a Psi function is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the rate of change of the function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative of a Psi function different from a regular derivative?

A partial derivative of a Psi function considers only one variable at a time, while a regular derivative considers the overall change of the function with respect to its input. This allows for a more precise analysis of the function's behavior in a specific direction.

3. What is the notation used for a partial derivative of a Psi function?

The notation used for a partial derivative of a Psi function is ∂Ψ/∂x, where Ψ is the function and x is the variable with respect to which the derivative is being calculated.

4. How is a partial derivative of a Psi function useful in physics and engineering?

In physics and engineering, a Psi function represents the wave function of a quantum mechanical system. By taking partial derivatives of this function, scientists can understand how different variables, such as time or position, affect the system's behavior.

5. Are there any special rules for calculating partial derivatives of Psi functions?

Yes, there are some special rules for calculating partial derivatives of Psi functions, such as the product rule and the chain rule. These rules help simplify the process of finding partial derivatives for more complex functions.