Partial derivative and chain rule

In summary, the double derivative of a function y is equal to the derivative of its first derivative, which is expressed in equation (1). Equation (2) is derived from equation (1) by applying the chain rule. The chain rule states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. Therefore, we can use the chain rule to calculate the double derivative of y, as shown in equation (2).
rsaad
How is the double derivative equal to that in the equation 2 in the attachment? =|

Attachments

• q.png
    q.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
$$\dot{y} = \frac{\partial f_i}{\partial x_j}\dot{x_j} + \frac{\partial f_i}{\partial t}\qquad \text{...(1)}\\

\ddot{y} = \frac{\partial f_i}{\partial x_j}\ddot{x_j} + \frac{\partial^2 f_i}{\partial x_j \partial x_k}\dot{x_j}\dot{x_k} + 2\frac{\partial^2 f_i}{\partial x_j \partial t}\dot{x_j} + \frac{\partial^2 f_i}{\partial t^2}\qquad \text{...(2)}$$​

2 follows from 1 (and the definition of y - what is this?) by the chain rule ... so apply the chain rule and show where you get stuck.

Related to Partial derivative and chain rule

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to determine the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant. It is denoted by ∂ (pronounced "del") and is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the chain rule for partial derivatives?

The chain rule for partial derivatives is a rule used to find the derivative of a composition of two or more functions that have multiple variables. It states that the partial derivative of the composition of two functions is equal to the product of the partial derivative of the outer function and the partial derivative of the inner function.

3. How is the chain rule applied in real-world situations?

The chain rule is commonly applied in real-world situations where a quantity depends on multiple variables that are changing simultaneously. For example, in economics, the chain rule can be used to determine the change in demand for a product based on changes in both price and consumer income. In physics, it can be used to calculate the rate of change of the position of an object with respect to both time and distance.

4. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant. On the other hand, a total derivative calculates the overall rate of change of a function with respect to all of its variables. In other words, a partial derivative only considers the effect of one variable on the function, while a total derivative takes into account all variables.

5. How do I calculate partial derivatives using the chain rule?

To calculate a partial derivative using the chain rule, you first need to identify the inner and outer functions. Then, you can use the chain rule formula to find the partial derivative of the composition of the two functions. Remember to take the partial derivative of the outer function first, and then multiply it by the partial derivative of the inner function.