Part-Time Physicist: Can I Work Full-Time and Pursue a Physics Degree?

In summary, it is possible to work full-time and pursue a physics degree, but it is very difficult and requires a lot of dedication.
physics_1184
Hello all,

I am new to this site and first let me say how wonderful this is. I have question for any physicists and any aspiring physicists out there. I am currently 27 years old and I have a huge interest in physics i even study a little in my spare time. I have 3 years of college in Psychology , I went to college straight out of high school focusing on neural sciences in psychology. I decided to drop out thought at the time, because the jobs were scarce in this field. I then went back to receive an associate's degree in computer sciences. I currently work full-time in the I.T. industry, but I would like to go back for a Physics degree. I originally thought about EE, because i enjoy this field too and even design my own circuit boards, but i figure physics is the foundation of all engineering. i also have noticed many I.T. people have back ground in physics, which is not surprising to me at all. So my question is is this possible to work full-time and pursue physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
In a similar boat as you. Most will say it's extremely difficult to impossible. On the other hand, you can find accounts of people working insanely hard to go to school and work. Obviously, I can't give you any advice since I'm staring at the same situation as you, but I think it just depends. It depends on how devoted you are, what program you go into etc.

Of course, make sure it's 100% what you really want. In the end, there's only one way to find out for sure if YOU can do it.

Thanks. Good luck to you by the way. I always loved physics and i have the mind for it. It seems like some force is driving me towards this.

Of course you can learn physics in your spare time and get a degree in it and such, but there is absolutely no such thing as a 'part time physicist' anymore than there is something like a 'part time doctor'. It's a career. You cannot do physics research of any appreciable quality without having a PhD, a full-time job, and funding. So I would not fantasize about being an engineer by a day and a physicist by night.

If you want to go back for a physics degree while working, that is perfectly fine. Just be warned, you probably do not have the requisite math yet. That will take some time to build. I have talked from many people who want to make the jump from CS to physics or engineering to physics and usually their math comes up short and they get frustrated. Since you are only going to school part time, your B.S. may take a little longer than 4 years but my one piece of advice is not to try to pile on classes to get through quicker. It will be a long road, and it is so even for full-time students, but if you like it, it will be worth it in the end. Good luck!

Likes quantknight

Hello,

Thank you for your question! It is definitely possible to work full-time and pursue a physics degree. Many people have successfully done so in the past and continue to do so. However, it is important to note that pursuing a degree in physics requires a significant amount of time and effort, so it may be challenging to balance both work and school.

One thing you can do is to research and find a university or program that offers flexible class schedules, such as evening or online classes. This can allow you to continue working while also pursuing your degree. Additionally, some companies offer tuition reimbursement programs for employees seeking higher education, so you may want to look into that as well.

It is also important to have a strong support system in place, whether it be from family, friends, or colleagues. Pursuing a degree in physics can be challenging, but having a support system can help you stay motivated and on track.

Lastly, it is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. This may mean sacrificing some leisure activities or finding ways to study during your breaks at work. With determination and dedication, you can definitely work full-time and pursue a physics degree.

Best of luck on your journey towards becoming a physicist!

Related to Part-Time Physicist: Can I Work Full-Time and Pursue a Physics Degree?

1. Can I balance working full-time and pursuing a physics degree?

Yes, it is possible to balance working full-time and pursuing a physics degree. However, it requires a lot of dedication, time management, and hard work. It may also require sacrifices in terms of social activities and leisure time.

2. How many hours per week should I expect to dedicate to studying and working?

The number of hours you will need to dedicate to studying and working will vary depending on your work schedule, class schedule, and personal study habits. On average, you can expect to spend about 20-25 hours per week on coursework and studying, on top of your full-time job.

3. Can I take online courses or attend part-time classes while working full-time?

Yes, many universities offer online courses and part-time classes that can be taken while working full-time. This can provide more flexibility in your schedule, but it is important to make sure the courses and classes you choose will still fulfill the requirements for your physics degree.

4. Is it possible to complete a physics degree while working full-time?

Yes, it is possible to complete a physics degree while working full-time. However, it may take longer than the standard four years to complete, and you may need to adjust your course load or take courses during the summer to accommodate your work schedule.

5. Will my job experience be beneficial in pursuing a physics degree?

Yes, your job experience can be beneficial in pursuing a physics degree. Your real-world experience can provide you with practical knowledge and skills that can be applied to your coursework. Additionally, having a job can also demonstrate to potential employers or graduate schools that you are dedicated and have time management skills.