Parity Operator, Symmetric Potential: Is V=PV?

In summary, the conversation discusses the symmetry and parity of a potential in position representation. The use of the parity operator and its relationship to the potential is explored, with the conclusion that PV=VP does not hold for symmetric potentials. The conversation also touches on the transformation of states and operators under parity.
fantispug
Let's say we have a symmetric potential, in position representation [tex]V(x)=V(-x)[/tex] and let [tex]P[/tex] be the parity operator.
Then quite clearly [tex]PV=VP[/tex] but I was told the stronger statement [tex]V=PV[/tex] is not true, but I thought

[tex]V=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} V\left|x\right\rangle\left\langle x \right| dx[/tex]
(where I have used completeness and linearity of the integral... though I'm having second thoughts about linearity - can I just move the integral through V?)
[tex]V=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} V(x)\left|x\right\rangle\left\langle x \right| dx[/tex]
[tex]V=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} V(-x)\left|x\right\rangle\left\langle x \right| dx[/tex]
[tex]V=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (PV(x))\left|x\right\rangle\left\langle x \right| dx[/tex]
[tex]V=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} P(V(x)\left|x\right\rangle)\left\langle x \right| dx[/tex]
[tex]V=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} P(V\left|x\right\rangle)\left\langle x \right| dx[/tex]
[tex]V=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (PV)\left|x\right\rangle\left\langle x \right| dx[/tex]
[tex]V=(PV)[/tex]

If V is not the same as PV, why not?
Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
If P acts like PV(x)=V(-x), then obviously PV=V for symmetric potentials, and your calculation was unnecessarily complicated. But I don't know how precisely your P is defined. Could it be, that it was defined so that it works like this PV(x)P^-1 = V(-x)?

hmh.. in fact this comes down to the question about what you want V to be. If you think that it is operator, that maps Psi into V*Psi, then PV=VP seems to be the only way.

In position representation V is an operator that maps the Psi like this

[tex]
\Psi(x) \mapsto V(x)\Psi(x)
[/tex]

Now you want to know what PV is. P maps the state V*Psi like this

[tex]
V(x)\Psi(x)\mapsto V(-x)\Psi(-x)
[/tex]

so, in other words

[tex]
PV\Psi(x) = V(-x)\Psi(-x) = V(-x)P P^{-1}\Psi(-x) = V(-x)P\Psi(x)
[/tex]

[tex]
\implies PV(x)=V(-x)P \quad\Leftrightarrow\quad PV(x)P^{-1}=V(-x)
[/tex]

Here the notation is bad, because it would be better to not have the (x) after the V, but its easier to write the operator V(-x) with this notation.

If you wanted to have PV=V, for symmetric potentials, this would imply

[tex]
PV\Psi(x)=V(x)\Psi(x)
[/tex]

which is wrong, because for symmetric potentials we have

[tex]
PV\Psi(x)=V(x)\Psi(-x)
[/tex]

Last edited:
Yeah, I realize my calculation was overly complicated, but I felt like I was trying to justify the obvious and didn't know how to do it.
That actually makes a lot of sense - I was thinking completely wrong about how the operators work (dropping the vector it operates on). It makes sense to me now: if you trasform a state psi by [tex]\psi\rightarrow P\psi[/tex], the states must transform as [tex]A \rightarrow P^{-1}AP[/tex] for consistency (which is the same as your expression for parity since the parity transformation is its own inverse)
Thanks for clearing it up.

Related to Parity Operator, Symmetric Potential: Is V=PV?

1. What is a parity operator?

A parity operator is a mathematical operator that determines the parity (odd or even) of a mathematical function. It is denoted as P and is commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the symmetry of a system.

2. How does the parity operator work?

The parity operator acts on a function by changing the sign of its spatial coordinates. If the function is even, it remains unchanged, while if it is odd, it becomes negative. The result of applying the parity operator is used to determine the parity of the function.

3. What is a symmetric potential?

A symmetric potential is a potential energy function that is symmetric about a certain point or axis. This means that the potential energy at one point is the same as the potential energy at a corresponding point on the opposite side of the symmetry point or axis.

4. Is the potential energy function V=PV always symmetric?

No, the potential energy function V=PV is not always symmetric. It depends on the form of the function P and the potential energy function V. If P is an odd function, then V=PV will be symmetric, but if P is an even function, then V=PV will not be symmetric.

5. What is the significance of V=PV in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, V=PV is a condition that describes a system with a symmetric potential energy function. This condition allows for simpler solutions to certain equations, such as the Schrödinger equation, and can provide insight into the behavior of quantum particles in a symmetric potential.