Paraview unable to read one stl file but IS able to read another: why?

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, Paraview may not be able to see and open a file with the extension .STL if it is in all caps, as it is case-sensitive. This could be the reason why the user's .STL file was not showing up in the drop-down menu. Changing the file extension to lower case .stl may solve the issue and allow the file to be opened in Paraview.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I made an .STL file and am trying to open it with Paraview. When I toggle "open" on the Paraview drop-down menu, I don't see the file (but it is there, since my terminal shows it).

However, when I look for a different .stl file (one downloaded from an OpenFOAM tutorial) I can open it.

When looking at the properties of each, I notice two things: the .stl file I made is all caps STL rather than stl. The other difference is mine has 100,000 bytes where the one from the tutorial has 337 bytes. Would these differences mean Paraview is unable to even see the file through its open menu?

Computer science news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
the .stl file I made is all caps STL rather than stl
What happens if you change it to lower case .stl?

Likes member 428835
pbuk said:
What happens if you change it to lower case .stl?
:headbang::headbang::headbang: ...I'm not even going to say it...but thanks!

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and pbuk
:rolleyes::oops:Why?

I'm don't undesdend too :oops:

Under certain operating systems, such as Unix (Linux), the case of letters in filenames matters. For example, you could have the two files mytext.txt and Mytext.txt coexisting in the same directory.

The file browser in Paraview is probably also case-sensitive, such that a file will the extension .STL will not be recognized as a file that can be opened by Paraview, and hence is not shown.

1. Why is Paraview unable to read one STL file but able to read another?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that the file that Paraview is unable to read is corrupted or has an error in its formatting. Another possibility is that the file is created with a different version of STL, and Paraview is not compatible with that version.

2. What can I do if Paraview is unable to read my STL file?

If your STL file is not corrupted and is created with a compatible version, you can try converting the file to a different format and then importing it into Paraview. Alternatively, you can try using a different software or version of Paraview that may be able to read the file.

3. Is there a size limit for STL files that Paraview can read?

Yes, Paraview has a maximum file size limit for STL files, which is usually around 2GB. If your file exceeds this size, Paraview may not be able to read it.

4. Can the problem be with my computer or operating system?

It is highly unlikely that the problem is with your computer or operating system. Paraview is a widely used software and is compatible with most operating systems. The issue is more likely with the file itself or the version of Paraview you are using.

5. Can incorrect file permissions cause Paraview to be unable to read an STL file?

No, file permissions do not affect Paraview's ability to read an STL file. As long as you have the necessary read permissions, Paraview should be able to open the file. If you are unable to open the file even with the correct permissions, the issue is likely with the file itself.