Parametrization of su(2) group

In summary, all elements of su(2) can be written as \exp(iH) with H being a traceless hermitian matrix. This H can be written as the sum of \sigma_x,\sigma_y,\sigma_z, where (n_x,n_y,n_z) is a unit vector in R^3. The parameter space for su(2) is the same as that of SO(3), where \theta exists in the interval (-\pi, \pi]. However, a rotation of 360 degrees in su(2) is equal to -1, not 1, leading to the identification of the whole surface for su(2).
wdlang
all elements of su(2) can be written as

\exp(iH)

with H being a traceless hermitian matrix

thus H can be written as the sum of \sigma_x,\sigma_y,\sigma_z

H=\theta (n_x \sigma_x + n_y \sigma_y+ n_z \sigma_z).

Here (n_x,n_y,n_z) is a unit vector in R^3.

we can take \theta in the interval (-\pi,\pi]

Thus the su(2) group has the same parameter space as SO(3) group.

what is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite. A rotation about the angle phi is obtained with theta=phi/2, hence all rotations
in the interval phi in ]-pi,pi] are already obtained with theta in ]-pi/2, pi/2].
E.g. a 180 deg rotation of around x is obtained by exp(i pi/2 sigma_x)=i sigma_x which is not equal to a -180 deg rotation exp(-i pi/2 sigma_x)=-i sigma_x. Especially, a rotation of 360 deg is equal to -1 and not to 1.

DrDu said:
Not quite. A rotation about the angle phi is obtained with theta=phi/2, hence all rotations
in the interval phi in ]-pi,pi] are already obtained with theta in ]-pi/2, pi/2].
E.g. a 180 deg rotation of around x is obtained by exp(i pi/2 sigma_x)=i sigma_x which is not equal to a -180 deg rotation exp(-i pi/2 sigma_x)=-i sigma_x. Especially, a rotation of 360 deg is equal to -1 and not to 1.

but at which step i am wrong?

i now see one traphole

for \theta=\pi, \exp(iH) is -1 regardless of the direction of the vector n

so in contrast to so(3), where on the surface of the pi-radius sphere, two antipodal points are identified, for su(2), the whole surface is identified.

Exactly.

Related to Parametrization of su(2) group

What is the su(2) group?

The su(2) group, also known as the special unitary group of degree 2, is a mathematical group of 2x2 complex matrices with unit determinant. It is often used in physics and engineering to describe the symmetries of physical systems.

What is the significance of parametrizing the su(2) group?

Parametrization of the su(2) group involves finding a set of parameters that can uniquely describe each element of the group. This allows for a more efficient and concise way to represent and work with the group, making it easier to study and analyze its properties.

How is the su(2) group typically parametrized?

The most common parametrization of the su(2) group is in terms of three real numbers or angles, known as Euler angles. These angles represent rotations around three different axes and can be used to construct any element of the su(2) group.

What is the relationship between the su(2) group and the spin of particles?

In quantum mechanics, the su(2) group is closely related to the concept of spin. The spin of a particle can be described using the su(2) group, and the parametrization of the group can be used to calculate the possible spin states of a particle.

How is the parametrization of the su(2) group used in practical applications?

The parametrization of the su(2) group is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is essential for understanding and modeling physical systems with rotational symmetries, such as molecules and subatomic particles. It is also used in computer graphics to represent and manipulate 3D rotations and orientations.