Parametric equations motion problem

In summary, the question involves a person traveling in a boat at a maximum speed of 10km/h from town A to town C, located 6km up-stream on the same side of the river as town B. The river is 8km wide and flows at a speed of 4km/h. The person wants to reach town C in the shortest possible time and the relevant equations used are v=d/t and vector diagrams. The solution found the angle theta to be equal to both arcsin(4/5) and arccos(3/5), and the time to be 3 hours and 1 hour, respectively. However, the correct angle that will give the shortest time for both distances is found by solving for
cjh12398
The question states:
Two towns A and B are located directly opposite each other on a river 8km wide which flows at a speed 4km/h. A person from town A wants to travel to a town C located 6km up-stream from and on the same side as B. The person travels in a boat with maximum speed 10km/h and wishes to reach C in the shortest possible time. Let x(t) be the distance traveled upstream and y(t) be the distance traveled across the river in t hours. The person heads out at angle theta.

a) Show that x(t)=10tcos(theta)-4t and y(t)=10tsin(theta)
b) What is the angle theta and how long would the trip take?

Relevant equations:
So far I have used v=d/t along with some vector diagrams.

My attempt:
I have proven a) already by using v=d/t. The net velocity for x was equal to 10cos(theta)-4 and I just rearranged for x. I did the same to find y.

I then found the angle theta by saying that sin(theta)=8/10, therefore theta=arcsin(4/5). Also, I found the theta in terms of arccos which was theta=arccos(3/5). I found these by using a distance triangle with adjacent=6, opposite=8 and hypotenuse=10.

I then equated x(t)=6 ==> 10tcos(theta)-4t=6
10tcos(arccos(3/5))-4t=6
10t(3/5)-4t=6
6t-4t=6
t=3
And equated y(t)=8 ==> 10tsin(theta)=8
10tsin(arcsin(4/5))=8
10t(4/5)=8
8t=8
t=1
This is where I'm having problems. Shouldn't the time value be equal? If anyone could please help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
cjh12398 said:
I then found the angle theta by saying that sin(theta)=8/10, therefore theta=arcsin(4/5). Also, I found the theta in terms of arccos which was theta=arccos(3/5). I found these by using a distance triangle with adjacent=6, opposite=8 and hypotenuse=10.

the main reson that your time is not common is because the angle you found was in correct .

http://puu.sh/otUJ

solve for n and you get an angle that will give you time root 2 for both occasions

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    10 KB · Views: 427
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Parametric equations motion problem

1. What are parametric equations and how are they used in motion problems?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that express the coordinates of a point on a curve in terms of one or more parameters. In motion problems, parametric equations are used to describe the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object as it moves through space.

2. How do you determine the direction of motion from parametric equations?

The direction of motion can be determined by looking at the signs and values of the coefficients in the parametric equations. If the coefficients for the x and y coordinates have the same sign, the motion is in a positive direction. If the signs are different, the motion is in a negative direction.

3. Can parametric equations be used for both linear and curved motion?

Yes, parametric equations can be used for both linear and curved motion. In linear motion, the equations will have a constant rate of change, while in curved motion, the equations will have a changing rate of change.

4. How do you find the maximum or minimum values using parametric equations?

To find the maximum or minimum values, you would need to take the derivative of the parametric equations and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the parameter value, and plug it back into the original equations to find the corresponding coordinates.

5. Can parametric equations be used to model real-world motion problems?

Yes, parametric equations can be used to model real-world motion problems. They are often used in physics and engineering to describe the motion of objects in space, such as projectiles, pendulums, and vehicles.