Parametric equation application?

In summary, the student is trying to find the angle of the cannon to hit the net for maximum height. They use a parabola and basic projectile motion to solve for the angle. The problem is relatively difficult, but not impossible, with the help of a graphing calculator and Maple.
lisbon

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/oogkT4K.png

Homework Equations

y = (x-h)^2 + k

The Attempt at a Solution

y = (x-95)^2 + 10 ? We were assigned this in class but my teacher never taught us anything about these kinds of problems. I've learned basic parabolas and equations in class but I don't know how to apply it to this assignment because the cannonball lands in the net at a different height from the original platform. I also have no idea how to find the angle of the cannon. Can someone help me out? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
lisbon said:

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/oogkT4K.png

Homework Equations

y = (x-h)^2 + k

The Attempt at a Solution

y = (x-95)^2 + 10 ? We were assigned this in class but my teacher never taught us anything about these kinds of problems. I've learned basic parabolas and equations in class but I don't know how to apply it to this assignment because the cannonball lands in the net at a different height from the original platform. I also have no idea how to find the angle of the cannon. Can someone help me out? Thanks!

You have two points on the parabola, the cannon and the camera. I would assume the camera pole is at the front of the net and the camera's mounting point is on the parabola.

So the parabola goes through those points and you are given the velocity. See if you can find the strategy now to solve this. These questions are notoriously difficult and if you haven't learned them, I think you won't be able to solve it.

verty said:
You have two points on the parabola, the cannon and the camera. I would assume the camera pole is at the front of the net and the camera's mounting point is on the parabola.

So the parabola goes through those points and you are given the velocity. See if you can find the strategy now to solve this. These questions are notoriously difficult and if you haven't learned them, I think you won't be able to solve it.

I don't see any reason to assume the camera itself is on the trajectory. I think it is at a given height and you smile at it when you are at that height on the way down. It looks to me like you vary the barrel angle to hit between the near and far end of the net and pick among them for max height.

Here's an animated gif showing the trajectory for various cannon angles. It looks like a doable problem to me, at least with the help of Maple.

attachment.gif

Attachments

• cannon.gif
    cannon.gif
    12.4 KB · Views: 553
LCKurtz said:
I don't see any reason to assume the camera itself is on the trajectory. I think it is at a given height and you smile at it when you are at that height on the way down. It looks to me like you vary the barrel angle to hit between the near and far end of the net and pick among them for max height.

I was unsure of how to interpret that the performer must look directly into the camera, but yes, if the camera pans to follow him, he can just look at the camera from wherever he happens to be when he is at that height.

The maximum height is clearly increasing with angle so the solution will be at one of the extreme points of the net or at an angle of 60 degrees. So two points and one angle to plug in, no calculus required. It's certainly doable but compared to the typical homework problems in this section, it is quite difficult. And for readers who don't know projectile motion which isn't always taught in school, these are notoriously difficult questions, at least they were for me.

Also I didn't want to give a hint because the title was about applying parametric equations and I thought the only good hint I could give was to show how to apply them. So I didn't give a hint but I wanted to point out that this is a difficult question and completing it without experience would be pretty tough.

Related to Parametric equation application?

1. What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a mathematical expression that defines a set of quantities as functions of one or more independent variables, known as parameters. It is commonly used to describe curves or surfaces in mathematics and physics.

2. How are parametric equations useful in science?

Parametric equations are useful in science because they allow for a more efficient and precise way to describe complex curves or surfaces. They also make it easier to analyze and manipulate data in scientific experiments, as they can be used to model and predict behavior.

3. Can parametric equations be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, parametric equations can be used to solve real-world problems in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and biology. For example, they can be used to model the motion of objects in space, the growth of populations, or the behavior of chemical reactions.

4. What are some common applications of parametric equations?

Parametric equations have many applications in science and engineering. Some common examples include describing projectile motion, modeling the motion of planets in orbit, and predicting the behavior of electrical circuits.

5. How do you graph a parametric equation?

To graph a parametric equation, you first need to plot points by substituting different values for the parameter(s) and solving for the corresponding values of the dependent variable(s). These points can then be connected to form a curve or surface. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or computer software to graph parametric equations.