Parameters, Arguments, Variables, Constants I`m confused,

In summary, the conversation covers the definition of constants, variables, parameters, and arguments in mathematics. Parameters are variables of a specific type, while arguments are the values supplied to a function. In parametric equations, the independent variables are called parameters. These parameters are different from parameters in function specifications. In this case, parameters refer to intrinsic variables used to parametrize a curve or object. The conversation also discusses how varying parameters can affect a function, such as in the case of a polynomial. It is important to ask critical questions and understand the ramifications of concepts presented in order to fully grasp them.
wajed
First of all,
I understand what a constant is, what a variable is, and somewhat what a Parameter is.

For parameters, as much as I know they are variables but of a specific type, for exmaple:-
a^2= B, where B is the area of the square..now "a" is a variable, but its also a parameter, since its of certain type...
I doubt I`m right, but that`s how a parameter is pictured in my mind, and I hope you correct it if its wrong.

For arguments, I totally don`t know what they are about; well, I read about them, but that turned out to be logic, and unrelated to the original topic (parameters, and parametric equations)

Since its hard to quote from a website, please visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parameter
and from the index you can go to:-
* 2.1 Mathematical functions
* 2.2 Analytic geometry

concerning * 2.1:
The two are often distinguished by being grouped separately in the list of arguments that the function takes
what are arguments? they seem to be everything that can be put in the function`s notation (like shown in the example: f(x1,x2,x3,x4...; a1,a2,a3,a4...)
BUT:
Strictly speaking, parameters are denoted by the symbols that are part of the function's definition, while arguments are the values that are supplied to the function when it is used. Thus, a parameter might be something like "the ratio of the cylinder's radius to its height", while the argument would be something like "2" or "0.1".
Now this is confusing! (If you can please clarify this to me?)
and as a result, and anyway.. I don`t get the whole thing!

what are parameters? how are they different than variables? and what are arguments?

In the special case of parametric equations the independent variables are called the parameters.
Now what I`m most concerned with is "parametric equations", so if this sentence means that I should skip all what I mentioned please tell me. (I`m totally confused and can`t judge right now)
What tells me that I shouldn't skip what I mentioned is that I`ve read the following - while I was reading on parametric equations, here is what I read:
In mathematics, parametric equations are a method of defining a curve using parameters. A simple kinematical example is when one uses a time parameter to determine the position, velocity, and other information about a body in motion.
I don`t think this simply means "independent variables"!?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
An argument is just a parameter or variable. If you have f(...), each item in between the parentheses, barring commas, is considered an argument.
Parameters and variables differ only in intent. For example, suppose you have a polynomial expression f(x) = ax2 + bx + c that you consider a polynomial in x. You then want to consider the effects that varying the "constant" 'a' has on some property of the polynomial. Since f(x, a) is no longer a polynomial, you will instead want to consider 'a' a parameter of the polynomial f(x; a) and perhaps f(x; a, b, c).

Last edited:
wajed said:
Now what I`m most concerned with is "parametric equations", so if this sentence means that I should skip all what I mentioned please tell me. (I`m totally confused and can`t judge right now)
What tells me that I shouldn't skip what I mentioned is that I`ve read the following - while I was reading on parametric equations, here is what I read:

I don`t think this simply means "independent variables"!?

The parameter(s) in parametric equations aren't really related to the parameters in function specification. In this case, they are using parameter to mean an intrinsic variable, ie., suppose you have f(x) that represents the path of a particle where at each horizontal coordinate x, there is a corresponding vertical coordinate y corresponding to perhaps the height of the particle.
You may be more interested in the position of the particle as a function of time, so you want to know x(t) and y(t) from f(x). This is one way of parametrizing the curve with parameter t.
There are other parameters you may want to use instead; temperature, speed, arclength, or just an arbitrary mathematical parameter of your choosing.
As you go on, you will see that curves need one parameter and surfaces need two independent parameters, spaces need three to be specified and so forth, making the parametric representation of an object quite natural, like using natural internal coordinates, instead of trying to shove it into an arbitrary external coordinate system.

"An argument is just a parameter or variable. If you have f(...), each item in between the parentheses, barring commas, is considered an argument.
Parameters and variables differ only in intent. For example, suppose you have a polynomial expression f(x) = ax2 + bx + c that you consider a polynomial in x. You then want to consider the effects that varying the "constant" 'a' has on some property of the polynomial. Since f(x, a) is no longer a polynomial, you will instead want to consider 'a' a parameter of the polynomial f(x; a) and perhaps f(x; a, b, c)."

May I be bother you?
I don`t know why f(x, a) is not a polynomial
Can you please tell me what to read so that I understand this thing?
and Can you firstly give me a little explanation of why is f(x,a) not a polynomial? and why does using a parameter solve the issue?

oh, forget about the first and last question! now I got it!
I just misunderstood you when you mentioned "f(x, a)".. now I get what you mean..

but still my question is, how am I supposed to know the basics? how am I supposed to know this when I read my calculus book?! is there anything I need to read and start with (to begin from the scratch)?

Not really. Just keep asking critical questions and try to figure out the ramifications of things presented in the text before the text goes ahead and pushes them to you (pull info from the text instead of just having it pushed to you). A blackboard or other scratchpad is useful for this.

Related to Parameters, Arguments, Variables, Constants I`m confused,

What is the difference between a parameter and an argument?

A parameter is a variable that is used in a function definition, while an argument is the actual value that is passed into the function when it is called. Parameters are placeholders for arguments, which are the specific values that the function will use.

What is a variable and how is it related to parameters and arguments?

A variable is a named storage location in a computer's memory that holds a value. Parameters and arguments are both types of variables that are used in functions. Parameters are used in the function definition, while arguments are used in the function call to pass in specific values.

What is the purpose of using constants in programming?

Constants are variables whose values cannot be changed once they are assigned. They are used to store values that are known and will not change throughout the program. This makes it easier to read and understand the code, as well as preventing accidental changes to important values.

How do parameters and arguments affect the flow of a program?

Parameters and arguments are used to pass data between different parts of a program. When a function is called, the arguments are passed into the function and used to execute the code in the function body. The function may also return a value, which can be assigned to a variable or used as an argument for another function.

What are some best practices for using parameters, arguments, variables, and constants?

Some best practices for using parameters, arguments, variables, and constants include using descriptive and meaningful names, properly documenting the purpose and usage of each, and following consistent naming conventions. It is also important to properly initialize variables and to use constants for values that will not change. Additionally, it is important to avoid using global variables and to limit the scope of variables to where they are needed.