Exploring the Limits of Radio Signals

In summary, radio signals can be transmitted over vast distances with minimal power, as long as the laser beam has zero dispersion. However, due to the divergence of real laser beams, the power spreads out and it becomes difficult to transmit signals across cosmic distances. This limitation is significant and worth considering in personal reflection.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
it has always seemed incredible to me how little power it
takes to transmit radio signals over vast distances,i have
read about how these signals are self sustaining, i was
wondering how long a signal could retain its information,
could it go clear across the galaxy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by wolram
it has always seemed incredible to me how little power it
takes to transmit radio signals over vast distances,i have
read about how these signals are self sustaining, i was
wondering how long a signal could retain its information,
could it go clear across the galaxy?
Well, if you could produce a laser beam with zero dispersion, you could, in fact, transmit a signal to Andromeda as easily as across your living room. However, real laser beams always have some divergence, and the power spreads out over a non-zero solid angle. As the receiver gets further and further away, the beam spreads more and more. The receiver in Andromeda won't get all the power of the signal unless he's using a HUGE detector!

So it is, in fact, very difficult to transmit signals across cosmic distances.

- Warren

thanks chroot,
i think your answer has more significance than some would think
its one for my personal think tank.

1. What are radio signals and how do they work?

Radio signals are electromagnetic waves that can travel through space at the speed of light. They are used to carry information, such as sound or data, from one location to another. Radio signals are created by oscillating electric currents, which produce changes in the electric and magnetic fields. These changes then propagate through space in the form of radio waves.

2. How far can radio signals travel?

The distance that radio signals can travel depends on various factors, such as the frequency, power, and atmospheric conditions. Generally, lower frequency signals can travel farther than higher frequency signals. Additionally, the curvature of the Earth limits the distance that radio signals can travel without the use of satellites or other technologies.

3. What is the purpose of exploring the limits of radio signals?

Exploring the limits of radio signals is important for understanding the capabilities and constraints of this communication technology. By studying how radio signals behave in different environments and at different distances, scientists can improve the design and efficiency of communication systems. This can also lead to advancements in wireless technology and help expand our understanding of the universe.

4. Can radio signals be affected by interference?

Yes, radio signals can be affected by interference, which is the disruption of the signal caused by other electromagnetic waves. This can occur due to natural phenomena, such as lightning or solar activity, or human-made sources, such as electronic devices and power lines. To minimize interference, communication systems use various techniques, such as signal filtering and frequency hopping.

5. What are some real-world applications of radio signals?

Radio signals have numerous practical applications, including radio and television broadcasting, wireless communication, radar systems, and satellite communication. They are also used in scientific research, such as in radio astronomy for studying celestial objects and in the study of the Earth's atmosphere. Additionally, radio signals are used in navigation systems, such as GPS, and in medical imaging technologies, such as MRI machines.