Parallel Worlds by Michio Kaku

In summary: Multiverses Universe was originally defined to include everything. However, with inflation, the possibility exists that our “bubble universe” is only one of many such regions that could have formed. New universes may be forming with each gamma-ray burst that makes a black hole!
sol2
http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/catalog_cover.pperl?0-385-50986-3

***PARALLEL WORLDS to hit shelves in OCT***

In PARALLEL WORLDS, his first book of physics since Hyperspace, Michio Kaku describes the extraordinary advances that have transformed cosmology and remade our understanding of the universe. The startling discovery of a mysterious energy driving the universe to expand and scientists' attempts to reconcile the four faces of the universe have led to the development of the revolutionary M-theory. The leading candidate for Einstein’s fabled “theory of everything,” M-theory depicts our universe as a “bubble” floating in an expansive eleven-dimensional “multiverse." Leading physicists now envision our universe as one of countless "bubble universes" only millimeters away from each other...

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?0385509863

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Question for you sol:

How did the Multiverse come to be? and is it just another bubble inside an Uberverse comprised of many Multiverse bubbles?

I love the idea of a Multiverse, but in my opinion it does not solve the issue of creation or even really get us closer to understanding it. All we do is pass the buck on.

I think you are right Tau_Muon_PlanetEater. No matter how many multiverses there are and then something larger then them, eventually they have to come down to something. It is the same problem we run into trying to explain the origin of the universe, that there never is an answer to 'where did matter and energy come from?'.

Are the eleven dimensions of M-theory real dimensions with real units (temporal and/or spacial) or are they purely mathmatical with no real dimensions? If anyone knows, I would appreciate the info.

Gil Fuller said:
Are the eleven dimensions of M-theory real dimensions with real units (temporal and/or spacial) or are they purely mathmatical with no real dimensions? If anyone knows, I would appreciate the info.

They are proposed as genuine, physical dimensions. The evidence for this is the effort that has gone into expaining why we don't see but four of them. This leads to the compaction on tiny manifolds, and that leads to many of the physical developments of string physics.

Tau_Muon_PlanetEater said:
Question for you sol:

How did the Multiverse come to be? and is it just another bubble inside an Uberverse comprised of many Multiverse bubbles?

I love the idea of a Multiverse, but in my opinion it does not solve the issue of creation or even really get us closer to understanding it. All we do is pass the buck on.
Multiverses

Lynn Cominsky said:
Universe was originally defined to include everything

However, with inflation, the possibility exists that our “bubble universe” is only one of many such regions that could have formed

The other universes could have very different physical conditions as a result of different ways that the unified symmetry was broken

New universes may be forming with each gamma-ray burst that makes a black hole!

e Swift Gamma-Ray Burst Mission (Scheduled launch: October 7, 2004)

Gamma-ray bursts (GRBs) are the most powerful explosions the Universe has seen since the Big Bang. They occur approximately once per day and are brief, but intense, flashes of gamma radiation. They come from all different directions of the sky and last from a few milliseconds to a few hundred seconds. So far scientists do not know what causes them. Do they signal the birth of a black hole in a massive stellar explosion? Are they the product of the collision of two neutron stars? Or is it some other exotic phenomenon that causes these bursts?

With Swift, scientists will now have a tool dedicated to answering these questions and solving the gamma-ray burst mystery. Its three instruments will give scientists the ability to scrutinize gamma-ray bursts like never before. Within seconds of detecting a burst, Swift will relay a burst's location to ground stations, allowing both ground-based and space-based telescopes around the world the opportunity to observe the burst's afterglow.

http://swift.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/swift/swiftsc.html

Thanks Hyper Wave for the info. I was wondering if these genuine, physical dimensions have been assigned standard units (like metric units for lengths or seconds for time) or are they exotic units with special properties? Hope I you do not consider this a dumb question. Thanks.

selfAdjoint said:
They are proposed as genuine, physical dimensions. The evidence for this is the effort that has gone into expaining why we don't see but four of them. This leads to the compaction on tiny manifolds, and that leads to many of the physical developments of string physics.
I wish to add that the very nature of electromagnetic wave energy is in of itself paradoxical to the four dimensional universe...we may find that the added extra dimensions in some way allow or cause the duality of light as both particle and wave form...in that light travels at a high end constant speed limit that can only be "slowed" under special laboratory conditions (the introduction of heavy/dense mediums and multicapsules of dense mediums that purposely though temporarily slow its forward momentum until it leaves the medium on the exiting side). In other words, Quantum mechanics and wave form energy exhibit properties that otherwise run counter to the four dimensions we experience. Bottom line...the extra dimensions seem more plausible in the "light" of it all.

Tau_Muon_PlanetEater said:
Question for you sol:

There is this gnawing question about the multiverse concept...were it that such multiverses truly exist and that they could each be almost identical to our own, could we be bumped from one to the next without ever knowing it? Here I could be as dumb as this, and in some other almost smart? Wow, and then there's this matter of the girl next door...

1. What is the concept of parallel worlds?

Parallel worlds, also known as parallel universes or alternate realities, refer to the theory that there exist multiple universes that exist alongside our own. These universes may have different physical laws, dimensions, and timelines, which can result in entirely different outcomes and possibilities.

2. Who first proposed the idea of parallel worlds?

The concept of parallel worlds was first proposed by Max Planck in 1914 in his theory of the "multiverse." However, it was popularized by Hugh Everett in the 1950s with his "many-worlds" interpretation of quantum mechanics.

3. How does the theory of parallel worlds relate to quantum mechanics?

The theory of parallel worlds is closely related to quantum mechanics, as it suggests that every quantum event creates a new universe. In other words, every time a quantum particle can exist in multiple states, it actually exists in all possible states in different parallel universes.

4. Is there any scientific evidence for the existence of parallel worlds?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of parallel worlds. However, some theories and experiments in quantum mechanics, such as the double-slit experiment and the many-worlds interpretation, provide support for the concept.

5. What implications could parallel worlds have on our understanding of reality?

If the existence of parallel worlds is proven, it could completely change our understanding of reality. It would mean that there are infinite possibilities and versions of ourselves in different universes, and that our perception of time and space may not be accurate. The concept also raises questions about the nature of consciousness and the role of choice and free will.