Parallel wires carrying current out of the page, find B

In summary, when finding the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field B(y) along the y axis, the horizontal components can be found by using the formula B_total = 2Bcos(θ), where θ is the angle between the B field and the horizontal. This angle is not the same as the angle between the distance (r) and the B field. Therefore, using the formula cos(θ) = y/(b^2+y^2) will give the correct horizontal component.
Dextrine

Homework Statement

Two parallel wires are a distance 2 b apart from the origin and carry current I out of the plane of the paper.
Find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field B(y) along the y axis.

Homework Equations

∫B⋅dl=μI[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

If we take ∫dl = 2πr
B=μI/(2πr)
r=√(b^2+y^2)

Clearly the y components cancel so we are left with only the horizontal components, that is

B_total=2Bcos(θ)

cos(θ)=b/√(b^2+y^2)

However, in the answer key provided, it says that cos(θ)=y/(b^2+y^2)

I don't understand why this would give this horizontal component. It seems like this would give the vertical component.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I see how. The angle made by the B field from each wire and the horizontal is not the same as the angle between r and b

Related to Parallel wires carrying current out of the page, find B

1. How do I calculate the magnetic field (B) for parallel wires carrying current out of the page?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field (B) between two parallel wires carrying current out of the page is: B = (mu0 * I) / (2 * pi * d), where mu0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and d is the distance between the wires.

2. What is the direction of the magnetic field for parallel wires carrying current out of the page?

The direction of the magnetic field for parallel wires carrying current out of the page is given by the right hand rule. Point your right thumb in the direction of the current and your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. Can the magnetic field (B) be negative for parallel wires carrying current out of the page?

No, the magnetic field (B) cannot be negative for parallel wires carrying current out of the page. It is always a positive value and the direction is determined by the right hand rule.

4. How does the distance between the wires affect the magnetic field for parallel wires carrying current out of the page?

The magnetic field (B) is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires. This means that as the distance increases, the magnetic field decreases and vice versa.

5. What is the unit of measurement for the magnetic field (B) in parallel wires carrying current out of the page?

The unit of measurement for the magnetic field (B) in parallel wires carrying current out of the page is Tesla (T) in SI units. In CGS units, it is measured in Gauss (G).