Parallel Plate Capacitor True or False

In summary, the conversation discusses questions about statements regarding two oppositely charged, isolated parallel plates and their capacitance, stored energy, and charge. The correct statements are identified and the conversation suggests reviewing equations to understand why other statements are incorrect.
ysk1
I keep getting the questions wrong. I'm so frustrated. I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me what's wrong.

Which statements are correct/incorrect for two oppositely charged, isolated parallel plates (Isolated means that the charge stays constant ):
(C=capacitance, U=stored energy, +Q and -Q = charge on the plates).

1. When the distance is doubled, U increases. T
2. Inserting a dielectric decreases U. F
3. Increasing the distance, decreases the E field. F
4. When the distance is halved, Q stays the same. F
5. Inserting a dielectric increases C. T
6. Inserting a dielectric increases Q. T
7. When the distance is doubled, C increases. F

Physics news on Phys.org
It will be of help to you to write down:

1) the expression for finding C for a parallel-plate capacitor

and

2) the expression for the electric potential energy U in a capacitor in terms of C and Q (the versions involving V will complicate things) .

#5 is correct. Re-read the condition for the charge on this capacitor to understand why you got #4 and #6 wrong. The equations I suggested will help you figure out why the others are incorrect. (Oh, for #3, how do the field for a sheet of uniform charge density depend on distance from it?)

I can understand your frustration, but don't worry, let's go through each statement one by one to see what's wrong.

1. When the distance is doubled, U increases. - This statement is true. The stored energy in a parallel plate capacitor is directly proportional to the distance between the plates. So when the distance is doubled, the stored energy also doubles.

2. Inserting a dielectric decreases U. - This statement is false. A dielectric material increases the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor, which in turn increases the stored energy. So, inserting a dielectric actually increases the stored energy.

3. Increasing the distance, decreases the E field. - This statement is false. The electric field between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the distance. So, increasing the distance actually increases the electric field.

4. When the distance is halved, Q stays the same. - This statement is false. The charge on the plates of a parallel plate capacitor is directly proportional to the capacitance and inversely proportional to the distance. So, when the distance is halved, the charge on the plates also halves.

5. Inserting a dielectric increases C. - This statement is true. As mentioned before, a dielectric material increases the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor.

6. Inserting a dielectric increases Q. - This statement is true. When a dielectric material is inserted between the plates, it increases the capacitance, which in turn increases the charge on the plates.

7. When the distance is doubled, C increases. - This statement is false. The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. So, when the distance is doubled, the capacitance decreases by half.

I hope this helps to clarify any confusion and improve your understanding of parallel plate capacitors. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to Parallel Plate Capacitor True or False

1. Is a parallel plate capacitor a type of capacitor?

Yes, a parallel plate capacitor is a type of capacitor that consists of two parallel conductive plates separated by an insulating material, or dielectric.

2. Are the plates in a parallel plate capacitor always the same size?

No, the plates in a parallel plate capacitor can vary in size, as long as they are parallel to each other.

3. Is it true that a parallel plate capacitor can store more charge than other types of capacitors?

Yes, a parallel plate capacitor has a larger capacitance compared to other types of capacitors, meaning it can store more charge.

4. Can the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor be changed?

Yes, the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor can be changed by altering the distance between the plates, the size of the plates, or the type of dielectric material used.

5. Is it possible for a parallel plate capacitor to have a negative capacitance?

No, a parallel plate capacitor cannot have a negative capacitance. The capacitance can be decreased by adding a dielectric material, but it cannot become negative.