Parallel Plate Capacitor Spacing Question

In summary, the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor increases by a factor of 2 when the length and width of each plate are doubled and the spacing between the plates is doubled as well. This can be calculated using the formula C = \frac{\epsilon A}{d}, although this is a simplified equation that does not account for the fringing field at the edges of the plates. For more complex geometries, integration is needed to calculate the capacitance.
jacksonpeeble
Gold Member
If the length and width of each plate of a parallel plate capacitor were doubled, and the spacing between the plates was also doubled, by what factor does the capacitance change?

I know that increasing the length and width of a plate increases its capacitance, and I thought that it was directly proportional, but I'm not sure about spacing the plates... it's an interesting question...

Physics news on Phys.org
jacksonpeeble said:
If the length and width of each plate of a parallel plate capacitor were doubled, and the spacing between the plates was also doubled, by what factor does the capacitance change?

I know that increasing the length and width of a plate increases its capacitance, and I thought that it was directly proportional, but I'm not sure about spacing the plates... it's an interesting question...

Do you know the equation for the capacitance in terms of the area and spacing of the plates? That equation will answer your question.

Is it e*Area/distance?

jacksonpeeble said:
Is it e*Area/distance?

Yes. [tex]C = \frac{\epsilon A}{d}[/tex]

This simple equation is used a lot in capacitor calculations, but keep in mind that it is simplified from the more accurate equation. This equation ignores the fringing field at the edges of the parallel plate capacitor. For a cap with lots of area A compared to the spacing distance d, this is a fine approximation. But if the distance d is, say 1/10 of the length of one of the sides of the cap plate, then you will measure a higher C than you calculated by probably around 10% or so.

But this basic equation should be fine for your conceptual question. So what's the answer?

The capacitance increases by a factor of 2, because 2*2/2=2.

I feel stupid. :wink: Thanks for the help.

Correct. No reason to feel that way, BTW. We all had to learn to use that equation (and learn its limitations) at some point.

what if the distance between the plates is much larger than the diameter of the parallel plates?? how do we then calculate the capacitance?

priya amrute said:
what if the distance between the plates is much larger than the diameter of the parallel plates?? how do we then calculate the capacitance?

Not with the simplistic equation we've listed so far, that's for sure.

You tell us. That's how it works around here...

i looked around a lot..all i know is
Decreasing the separation of the plates, decreases the voltage of the capacitor since the electric-field is not affected by the distance between the plates. The voltage on the capacitor is V=Ed. Therefore the voltage increases. For a constant charge, Q, C=Q/V =Q/Ed and vice-versa..then why can't the same formula still remain applicable?

i will be really glad if u can help me with this...we am working on a project where the calculation of resonant frequency is very important for which we require...

priya amrute said:
i looked around a lot..all i know is
Decreasing the separation of the plates, decreases the voltage of the capacitor since the electric-field is not affected by the distance between the plates. The voltage on the capacitor is V=Ed. Therefore the voltage increases. For a constant charge, Q, C=Q/V =Q/Ed and vice-versa..then why can't the same formula still remain applicable?

When the geometry is not simple, you need to calculate the capacitance by integration, typically. C = Q/V, and you perform a surface integration to find Q, and a line integral to find V.

Related to Parallel Plate Capacitor Spacing Question

What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a device used to store electrical energy by using two parallel conductive plates separated by a dielectric material.

How does the spacing between the plates affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor increases as the spacing between the plates decreases. This is because the electric field between the plates becomes stronger, resulting in a higher charge storage capacity.

What is the formula for calculating the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The formula for calculating the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is C = ε0A/d, where C is the capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

What is the role of the dielectric material in a parallel plate capacitor?

The dielectric material in a parallel plate capacitor acts as an insulator, preventing the plates from coming into direct contact and short-circuiting. It also increases the capacitance of the capacitor by reducing the electric field between the plates.

How does the spacing between the plates affect the electric field in a parallel plate capacitor?

The electric field between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor decreases as the spacing between the plates increases. This is because a larger distance between the plates results in a smaller charge accumulation on the plates, leading to a weaker electric field.